VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Why did the park only remain open until September in 1986?

As we all know, the typical Great Adventure season ends the last weekend of October give or take a few days. In 1986 however, the published and adhered to operating calendar ended after the last weekend of September - nearly a month early. The park never closed that early any other year.

I worked at the park during 1986 and the only rumored reason that was bounced around was that the park was planning on replacing the Sarajevo Bobsled with AstroWorld's XLR-8 suspended coaster and they didn't want the construction to interfere with parking lot operations. At the time this reason seemed weak and obviously the ride installation never occurred.

So the question remains, why did the 1986 season end in September? Anyone have any information or guesses?

^ I don't think so because all the other Six Flags were open until late October as normal.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the newly opened Six Flags Power Plant in Baltimore. I doubt it, but maybe they wanted patrons of Six Flags to go there to get it kick started.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...