VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Purchases Lucasfilm.

MarioSonic94

Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chair of Lucasfilm, will become Lucasfilm's president, reporting to Walt Disney Studios chair Alan Horn as part of stock and cash transaction.

The Walt Disney Company has acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in cash and stock and announced a new Star Wars movie to be released in 2015. Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chair of Lucasfilm, will become Lucasfilm's president, reporting to Walt Disney Studios chair Alan Horn as part of the stock and cash transaction. Disney is paying approximately half the price in cash and will issue 40 million shares of stock on Tuesday, the company said in a statement.Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Warsfeature films, with the franchise's creator and Lucasfilm founder George Lucas serving as creative consultant.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, in a statement. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment and consumer products."

The deal comes on the heels of Disney's 2009 acquisition of Marvel Entertainment and its 2006 purchase of Pixar Animation Studios, two potent entertainment brands that appeal to families. The Disney board already has approved the Lucasfilm acquisition but it is subject to antitrust scrutiny by the U.S. government.

While Lucas and Disney have had a long relationship, it has been most visible at the company's theme parks, where Star Tours and other attractions have been popular for more than two decades.

However, the Stars Wars movies have been distributed through Twentieth Century Fox, which will now be cut out of future Star Wars and other related business. (Though Fox already has been set to release 3-D versions of the past Star Wars movies, it is unclear if that relationship will be impacted by the sale. The acquisition also raises questions about the future of Stars Wars: Clone Wars, a highly popular series on the Cartoon Network, which is owned by Disney's competitor, Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner.)

Disney also is acquiring Lucasfilm's hugely profitable consumer products and merchandising businesses, which should be a good fit for the buyer.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Bob Iger, Disney chairman and CEO, in a statement. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

Also announced is a new trilogy of Star Wars films (the first of which will be released in 2015).

It's only a 4.05 billion hand shake. Im sure excited to see what they are going to do with Star Wars, though they currently have great Star Wars attractions at the park. This new movie in 2015 should rival the supposed Justice League movie coming out in the same year.

I guess this means Leia is a Disney princess now, lol.

Still I find it sad that Star Wars will no longer be the artistic vision of one man, Lucas, but now at the whims of a corporation. What I find even sader are the hateboys, (so called fans who think they know Star Wars better than it's creator and believe they have rights to it) are cheering about Lucas stepping down. He has been unfairly treated like a punching bag on the internet which I find is more telling of his detractors' flaws than of Lucas' himself. I think all 6 Star Wars films were great, and if some people feel that they must attack other people for having different opinions then I pity them. Hopefully Disney will preserve Star Wars the way Lucas wants it to be and not give in to the angry internet hateboys. IMHO I always thought Star Wars was always in good hands with Lucas but you just can't please everyone.

Edited by The Master

I guess this means Leia is a Disney princess now, lol.

Still I find it sad that Star Wars will no longer be the artistic vision of one man, Lucas, but now at the whims of a corporation. What I find even sader are the hateboys, (so called fans who think they know Star Wars better than it's creator and believe they have rights to it) are cheering about Lucas stepping down. He has been unfairly treated like a punching bag on the internet which I find is more telling of his detractors' flaws than of Lucas' himself. I think all 6 Star Wars films were great, and if some people feel that they must attack other people for having different opinions then I pity them. Hopefully Disney will preserve Star Wars the way Lucas wants it to be and not give in to the angry internet hateboys.

Have you ever watched Red Letter Media's reviews of the Star Wars prequels? Since that's pretty much where they get their views on Lucas.

I have seen parts of those crap traps before I became disgusted by their use of gross misinterpretations and shody reviewing. Sadly all RLM did was making assumptions and flinging mud on Lucas's image but then admits "he wasn't there so he doesn't know what really happened" to cover his butt. That is besides editing, muting parts, and cherry picking the behind the scenes footage from the DVD extras. If he wasn't there, then why does he talk so much about how things might have happened? It doesn't matter if he eventually admits his lack of true knowledge, because he has already done the job of smearing Lucas's image and giving viewers the negative impression that he wanted. He figured most of his viewers would not bother with fact checking the reviews. Hopefully Disney will issure C&D papers to RLM and others of his elk since Disney is not as forgiving as Lucas. There is alot of blind hate on the internet and it is best not to give in to it.

Edited by The Master

Hopefully Disney will issure C&D papers to RLM and others of his elk since Disney is not as forgiving as Lucas.

Doug "The Nostalgia Critic" Walker has ripped on movies from Disney (and other studios of the sort) and they didn't seem to mind the free advertising. In fact the only legal action he was threatened with was with his review of The Room (which was from some small, insignificant film production company). Disney will probably have the same feelings towards Plinkett in the future (Though pre-Disney George Lucas did pull the Episode 2 review down from YouTube for a brief period)

Edited by MarioSonic94

Doug "The Nostalgia Critic" Walker has ripped on movies from Disney (and other studios of the sort) and they didn't seem to mind the free advertising. In fact the only legal action he was threatened with was with his review of The Room (which was from some small, insignificant film production company). Disney will probably have the same feelings towards Plinkett in the future (Though pre-Disney George Lucas did pull the Episode 2 review down from YouTube for a brief period)

Doug was guilty of copyright infringement before, which is how he got kicked off of youtube with his earlier reviews. That time the copyright holder did mind and fought back so Doug sicked his fans on them and made a classless butthurt parody which hurt his own image more than Wiseau's since this was something that should have been kept private. Neither side was really in the right in that case but Doug should not have been so immature about it. It was pointless anyway since the Room review remained on youtube during the whole debacle. Both Doug and Stoklasa are guilty of presenting strawman versions of films in their reviews, you have to take both with a grain of salt since they can't decide if they are real reviews or just comedy. Also it was Cartoon Network that had the first part of the RLM Episode 2 review pulled down for awhile by claiming copyright infringement.

Also the Frank Darabont version of Indy 4 was much worse than the final film with Indy getting drunk twice and doing parodies of earlier films, going over 4 waterfalls, and getting pooped on by a monkey, so yes they can do much worse.

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugg, that article is sterotype Lucas hateboy bitiching, and they even have the pretentiousness to to think they know Star Wars better than it's creator does. Of course this is from the same people who praise Gary Katz, the guy who almost sunk the production for The Empire Strikes Back.

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Besides canceling the 3D re-releases of the other 5 Star Wars films, Disney has now cancelled the popular animated Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network. Both moves really suck, but it comes as no surprise to me since they are clearing the plate. Just like everytime new management takes over Six Flags they wipe the plate clean, it is what corperations just do.