VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Wild Weather at Great Adventure

• 3 months later...
Did anyone notice that we had very few severe thunderstorms this summer? I think it was the first season since I started going to the park that I didn't experience a thunder and lightning 'event' at GA. :rain2:

I remember one, me and my manager were closing up justice league and it was only about 6pm and they closed the park due to the severe weather, our store had been closed since about 530 though, 310 supervisor had called and said to close all stores. But we had to drive to security and there was no one left in the park so we had the ok to drive in the park so we got the truck and ill never forget driveing past big wheel and having WAVES from where the truck was moving through the water crashing up agisnt the rock garden thing next to the big wheel and water coming up to about just over the center of the wheel (on the car) lol, some places deeper. That was this summer, I will never forget that.

Couple of years back on a warm spring day I was at GAdv and it was clear at first but then there was this huge front of storms passing by near the park but not hitting it. I remember riding the skyride and you could see the storm front about a mile away but it never hit the park that day but it was close, stayed sunny and dry at the park all day.

I remember one April day in '03 riding Nitro early in the morning and getting covered with snow. It was freaky but awesome at the same time.

That would ruin the spring feeling for sure, gald it's never snowed when I been there.

That would ruin the spring feeling for sure, gald it's never snowed when I been there.

It was only near the top of the lift, second hill and third hill that the snow was present. It was the strangest thing I had ever experienced.

On the plus side, I was able to make a snowball from what was on my sweatshirt and throw it at my buddy when we left the ride. :whistling::whistle:

I think the worst I had in the park last year was during a safari run before the park. We were in the safari, and it just because very dark and dim outside. We could tell a storm was coming, but figured it would maybe pass by the time we got through the safari as we had just entered. Well we were quite wrong. It was interesting as everytime the thunder cracked, the animals acted just as you sometimes see in a nture documentary or something where they took off in a heard for something they considered to be shelter. Most animals stayed out even though it was raining lightly and we enjoyed this different view of animals in protective mode over their young.

After this we realize the storm was still coming on so we figured we would go to the exploration station to see if maybe things would pass while we were loking at the exhibits. IN fact things actually got worse as the sky seemed to take on a greenish tinge and the lighting was getting worse and worse. When we finally decided the day was going to be a wash and left, all hell broke loose with the sky opening up and pouring, flooding the road outside of the park briefely and actually shutting the power in the strip malls that were close by. Seriously anyone wants an example of extreme weather at the park just go on a day i'll be there and you will get a show by mother nature for sure :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...