VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Wildwater Kingdom 1985

The Master

Concept art WWKOriginalArt.jpg

1985 photo of WWKDPOldWWKAerial.jpg

Sure was alot smaller back then, they didn't even had lazy rivers yet.

1985 Schedule, WWK was opened to Sep 22, wish it was still like that now.

DPBrochure1985e.jpg

It's weird to see Riptide Run out there with no slides near it. Also the wavepool looks like it used to take up more space.

It would be nice to see WWK open past Labor Day. It's warm enough for most of September for waterparks to be open. I can't believe WWK didn't open until July 1st and that it was open until 9 every day in July and August. Now it's not even open past 7:00 except on Saturday's. I miss when it was open until 8:00 most of the season up until a few years ago.

Just seems like all the local water parks close right down on Labor Day anymore, such a shame. Being it's first year they probably opened late because of construction. If you look it looks like there is some sort of island in the former Torpedo Tubes landing pool. Looks like Torpedo Tubes must have been built after 1985. Dorney's website lists WWK attrection's opening dates. https://www.dorneypark.com/things-to-do/wildwater-kingdom Runaway River didn't open until 1987 while Wildwater River and Lightning Falls opened in 1990. Aquablast opened in 1991 and still the top slide at WWK.

But back in 1985, there was just the wave pool, Riptide Run, the original body slides, the speed slides, activity pools, and Lollipop Lagoon. There was also a proposed Rampage slide that was never built.

I didn't realize the Torpedo Tubes didn't open until later. They had an interesting history with the 3rd Torpedo Tube slide not lasting long (it was a body slide).

Here is an old WWK picture that shows the 3rd slide:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2007/03/old-wildwater-kingdom-picture.html

I also don't see the kiddie Riptide Run, I think it only operated for a few years.

Never knew Torpedo Tube had a 3rd slide, I started going to Dorney and WWK in 1992 when I was a kid and that 3rd tube wasn't there. The kiddie Riptide Run was still running and I used to slide down it. Not sure when it closed but I wonder why they did close it? Wildwater River still had waves in 1992 as well, I remember the mini golf and go karts right by WWK.

1992+vs+2010.jpg

What the park looked liked the first time I was there in 1992 vs today. Some ways it seems like just yesterday while in other ways it seems like a lifetime ago. I remember the old gravel parking lots and the large gift shop being the park exit itself with kites hanging from the ceiling and picnic groves everywhere.