VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure Name Tags

29yrswithaGApass

Work is being done on a very extensive future feature on GAH about the heart and soul of Great Adventure - the employees. To be able to better sort all of the photos that we have of the Great Adventure team members by years, an accurate timeline of employee name tags would help in assigning dates to the photos. Simply put - the nametags are keys to when the photos were taken.

Below are several name tags worn by employees through the years along with an estimate as to which season(s) they were used. If anyone has any additional name tags or information, corrections, or confirmation of the information below, it would be appreciated. If you were an employee, which style name tag did you wear and when did you work at Great Adventure?

1. 1974-1976:

gallery_2_35_68161.jpg

2. 1977:

gallery_2_35_76793.jpg

3. 1978-1981:

gallery_2_35_93510.jpg

4. 1978-1981: Permanent Employees

gallery_2_35_50025.jpg

5. 1982-1991:

gallery_2_35_175228.jpg

6. 1992-1994:

gallery_2_35_31389.jpg

7. 1995-1998:

White Oval with Blue Six Flags Banner Logo (photo needed)

8. 1999-Present:

gallery_2_35_40417.jpg

The #4 name tag was introduced in 1978 and was worn by "permanent" employees (full-time, non-seasonal) as opposed to a seasonal employee. Largely, V.P./GM, Department Directors, Managers, Assistant Managers, and Perm Supervisors. A tag's color differentiated the level of seniority similar to how the color of the tape on a seasonal name tag also represented different levels. While the black tape name tag was easily the most common seasonal name tag, you didn't find many permanent black name tags. Permanent employee tags also included the person's actual title on the tag in addition to the different color/seniority level.

The #3 tag was a seasonal employee for the 1978-1981 seasons. A variation on this tag, was the much larger, white cardboard/clear plastic "Organizarion Worker" name tag that was worn by volunteers, with very few at the start of the season but very common late August through season close.

The #5 tag was introduced for the 1982 season and initially did not have the red/blue stripes on the left or a "years of service" designation on the right.

Hope that helps.

I "volunteered" during the 1979 and 1980 seasons (Operations). Food Service was home for 1981 and 1982. Started 1984 working Main Gate sales, then Guest Relations. 1985 I started working graveyard in Cash Control and after a month moved to Marketing Research. Just realized, the marketing research name tag was silver, with your first name engraved on the tag, but no logo or Six Flags Great Adventure on the tag. Guest Relations, I believe, used the same name tag.

looks like a slight change to the current tags, instead of a black lettering it seems everone's is now blue, that has a white tag, in the past blue lettering with a white tag was a supervisor, but it seems the different uniforms now distinguish who is a sup., so i guess my white tag with black lettering is a collector item now

looks like a slight change to the current tags, instead of a black lettering it seems everone's is now blue, that has a white tag, in the past blue lettering with a white tag was a supervisor, but it seems the different uniforms now distinguish who is a sup., so i guess my white tag with black lettering is a collector item now

Correct. There are still yellow and orange tags but the black ones changed to blue and supervisor is just labeled as 'supervisor' underneath.

Here is a pic of my nametag from this season. Blue tag with black lettering as mentioned above. Now there are 5 different color nametags, just for informational purposes

Yellow - 15 years old

Orange - 16 years old

Red - 17 years old

White - 18+ years old

Silver - Full time employee (all year round)

vdn8z6.jpg

Great Adventure:

The only deviations to the uniforms are really for us in First Aid (Grey polos with EMS and First Aid written on them), Security with their uniforms, Fire Department with dark navy or black Class B fire uniform shirts/pants. Maintenance with their jumpsuits or green work clothes. Safari in their beige outfits, and whatever the water show people wear (usually wetsuits and when not in that, usually a beige safari uniform) Flashpass in their fire-engine red shirts. Everyone else wears the neon-green polos with the exception of supervisors (They are issued a maroon colored "Leadership Team" polo, but can buy other colors) And some admin just wear a dress shirt and tie.

And then there is Loss Prevention which I will not discuss for obvious reasons.

Hurricane Harbor:

Lifeguards and Water attendants wear swim suits with an identifying shirt. First Aid is the same as listed above. Security wears white polos and black/dark navy shorts or pants. Admin usually wear the Leadership Team polos, and everyone else again gets the neon-green polos.

If you want, I'll upload a pic of my First Aid uniform.

Long story short, if you don't know what department they are in, best bet is to look at the side of their ID card which is displayed. As you can see, mine that I posted above says "Safety." Others will say stuff such as "Ride-Ops" "Admissions" "Food Services" "Contracted" or sometimes even "Leasee"

Edited by Keithvlad2002

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have to see if my black tag from 2 yrs ago, and blue from last year when they switched is still laying around.

--Found my black one but still searching for my blue. If I can't find it ill just be getting another next week once i go back in for training and will post then.

Edited by jdc12192

• 6 months later...

SINCE IT IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD Let me respond again to the query about H M F I C as a job title. It is a joke, friends. 40 years ago it was twisted out of street-ethnic slang.. but now, in 2014, I see it on "Morale Patches" velcro'd on soldier's BDU's in plain sight . It does stand for-- HEAD MOTHER FXXXXXR IN CHARGE I wore this with pride , as I found myself often in a position of leadership and responsibility while still working at the same hourly rate as the ordinary officer made.

BTW- when I left GA in 1978 after 4 years of fulltime employment I was making $5.45 per hour...not exactly a survival wage.

I hope that resolves the HMFIC issue.

al

Edited by mayor al