VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

GAcoaster

^i would love to see a GCI at our park as well but im not certain thunder's spot is the right place. You already got el toro there so quite honestly a GCI in chiller's spot would be perfect i think. I think too many people are looking at chiller's old spot and defining the thought of a new coaster strictly to what chiller's area was...keep in mind the possibilities are endless in that area. Theres a lot of room to work with from where spinmeister used to be all the way to parts of the picnic grove they could use. You can always move pathways around in different directions very easily. For instance it would not surprise me at all if the entrance to the picnic grove was moved to where freefall is and have people walk around the back of showtime theatre to get to it...thats not something thats very hard to do and that makes all of the pathway open to use from showtime to spinmeister's lot

....or an entrance to the picnic grove from right where spinmeister's lot is would do the same thing. Theres endless possibilities with that area. When and if SF ever decides to build in that area what they'll do is have the coaster designed first and then fit the pathways in and around it. Dont let what are current pathways restrict your vision of a coaster...pathways can always be worked out one way or other

Edited by JJ2K

Does anyone know if Kingda Ka was operating today? My guess is no but was anyone there?

Also, I keep forgetting to ask, an article stated that you can see the skyscrapers of Philly from the top of Zumanjaro, is this during the day or at night. I know on nitro you can only see it at night, although this is ride is much higher, but does anyone know?

It's really interesting to see that with all the Six Flags announcements that came out, Zumanjaro seems to be getting the most press. The newsfeeds I get that find "Six Flags" stories have been about 30% on Zumanjaro and 70% all the other parks. Maybe I'm jaded because I knew what was coming and drop towers don't do much for me, but I'm more excited to see how Goliath at SFGAm works out.

Also, I keep forgetting to ask, an article stated that you can see the skyscrapers of Philly from the top of Zumanjaro, is this during the day or at night. I know on nitro you can only see it at night, although this is ride is much higher, but does anyone know?

By day or night (depending on the weather of course.

Please everyone, let's try to keep this thread to a discussion of Zumanjaro.

I wonder how long you stop at the top for? It seems like a really awesome view of the park, a view that you don't have time to see on KK, since it goes over the top so fast.

6 seconds. Seems long enough to me. I'm looking forward to what they do at the top, whether it's a recorded message like LL:DOD or let the operators go at it, like Acrophobia.

6 seconds. Seems long enough to me. I'm looking forward to what they do at the top, whether it's a recorded message like LL:DOD or let the operators go at it, like Acrophobia.

but if it is a recorded message what would it be themed to? monkey noices?

Does anyone know if the supports are actually going to be orange? I think that would be stupid if they were, it wouldn't match.

It would be really stupid, but that's probably what they will do. They seem to love painting things clashing colors. Look at Sky Screamer. Tacky and Six Flags are synonymous. They just don't get atmosphere and theming.

I don't get the whole African theme for the ride when there is no African themed area in the park. The safari ride is African themed in the Frontier Adventures section, the rapids ride is African themed on the other side of the park, and now the drop tower is African themed in the Golden Kingdom. What are they thinking?

I don't get the whole African theme for the ride when there is no African themed area in the park.

They began to slowly(but surely) change GK into more of a general safari themed area starting in 2011 when they added Safari Discoveries, along with rethemed shops(such as the renamed Safari Outpost. That's why an African themed ride, as well as Anubis Baboons can fit into the section that used to be more jungle themed.

I love the new drop ride name! It's so creative.

According to Screamscape, they stated that "Zumanjaro comes up with no results at all and appears to be simply made up, as if they tried to put “Zu” in font of Kilamanjaro," so i'm surprised they used the name with no meaning to it.

This is random but I wonder how they are going to pull off the 2014 park map .

I was acutally just thinking that the other day. If it was on the other side of KK than it would be easy, but now, I have no clue what they are gonna do, maybe just put the name and picture and have an arrow point to it?

According to Screamscape, they stated that "Zumanjaro comes up with no results at all and appears to be simply made up, as if they tried to put Zu in font of Kilamanjaro," so i'm surprised they used the name with no meaning to it.

I was acutally just thinking that the other day. If it was on the other side of KK than it would be easy, but now, I have no clue what they are gonna do, maybe just put the name and picture and have an arrow point to it?

As far as constructing zumanjaro i see the hard work done by the end of the offseason enough so that ka can open in time for opening day. But putting in the motor and chains and all that for zumanjaro wont happen until the season starts. Zumanjaro still wont open til memorial day weekend but ka will open in time for the season. Thats what i think will happen.

My two cents on this debacle... First, once again, it appears that Six Flags doesn't comprehend the concepts of strategic planning, maintaining any sort of theme (original or movie based) in its "theme parks," or concept of marketing each park for all that the park has to offer each season. Instead, they (very short mindedly) add a new mega ride (rollercoaster or other) with the hope that their single new attraction will both drive additional attendance as well as repeat visitors from prior seasons. And, they expect this to happen while making each park more and more like the dirty, unorganized, amusement parks pre-Disneyland, with little concern for the family unit (using any definition of "family" that can be conjured up) OR the fact that teenage theme park attendance is on the decline AND the fact that "family unit" per cap theme park spending is nearly double that of per cap spending by teens.

Now Great Adventure is losing another "great" in Great Adventure. Why can other Six Flags parks (let's consider SFOT) retract their older coasters and still manage to enjoy improved attendance? Why do both SFOT and SFOG manage to hold on to a good portion of the charm (and, in the case of SFOG, their forest) that they have had from the very beginning? I hate to say it, but I have to believe that it's a result of both of those parks only being managed by Six Flags rather than owned 100% by Six Flags. The owners of those parks (The Texas and Georgia partnerships) still have a good deal of say when it comes to capital spending, maintenance, and planning.

It's wonderful that GA is getting this drop tower, but it's pathetic that it's doing so, once again, at the expense of theming, an incredible classic coaster (one of the very few that are actually two) that does need, and deserves, a major rehab, and and any concept of long range continuity in planning.