VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

GAcoaster

Forgive me if I am wrong, but did they add supports on Ka just under the track linking the vertical supports together. if you look at the down side in the pic there are two columns running right under the track between 3 supports. i noticed the same in another pic on the upside with the yellow "worker platforms" under them. Can say i ever noticed those before

Edited by Yoshi
spelling

Here is another photo i came across on newplusnotes.

ZumanjaroUpdate1.jpg

Interesting to see that the additional supports under the track of ka (after the launch and before the airtime hill)that mrpq and I were talking about go all the way down to the ground. Wonder what the purpose of additional supports there are.

Oh wow. Didn't notice that new one on the launch track. I wonder if it has to do with reducing the amount of track movement when a train goes by

Kind of looks like they painted that support the wrong color lol

Edited by Mrpq

Nice! Cool to see the orange tracks completed, once they started they moved fast. Maybe at least one of the cars will be on for opening day?

Edit: I must not have been clear judging by the post under me. I meant the opening day of the park on April 12 not Zumanjaro's opening.

Edited by RC98

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom Today Breaks

World Record for Tallest Drop Ride at 41 Stories

Final Track Piece Set Today, Ride to Debut Memorial Day Weekend

JACKSON, NJ – April 1, 2014 –The final track piece ofZumanjaro: Drop of Doom was placed today at approximately 1:30 pm today. This “topping off” officially breaks the world record fortallest drop ride,with Zumanjaro’s three towers completed at a staggering 41 stories tall. The mammoth drop ride is expected to open at Six Flags Great Adventure this Memorial Day weekend.

Iron workers from Shamrock Construction, the ride’s erection company which is based in Matawan, New Jersey, signed the final orange piece of steel before it ascended to its final resting place atop Kingda Ka’s 45-story tower.

“Today is special because we not only broke the world record by topping off the world’s tallest drop ride, but also because we battled through some incredibly adverse weather conditions. We had the coldest and snowiest winter that any of us can remember,” said John Fitzgerald, park president at Six Flags Great Adventure. “We appreciate the hard work by Shamrock Construction and the rest of the construction team in overcoming those conditions and getting the job done,” he added. “You would not believe how windy it can get up there in a snow storm.”

Following the topping off, the construction, maintenance and engineering teams will focus on installing the lift mechanism (a winch and cable system), adding the three gondolas that will whisk riders to the top of the tower andinstalling the ride controls, followed by extensive ride testing, inspections and certification before the first passengers board the ride later this spring.

Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 456-foot monster that ranks as the world’s tallest coaster and fastest in North America—Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom will hoist riders 41 stories into the sky and rocket them back to Earth at 90 miles per hour while Kingda Ka trains launch right toward them at speeds of up to 128 miles per hour. Riders will pause for a few terrifying moments 41 stories in the air—even higher than London’s Big Ben and twice as tall as the Statue of Liberty—allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the south before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.

# # #

Source: Six Flags Great Adventure

If you look close at the pics, I do not thing the ACTUAL track the cars ride on are mounted to the orange "track'' yet. they seem to be mounted at the bottom but maybe only to the 2nd cat walk on ka. Id assume just because the orange parts are in place doesnt mean the track is 100% there yet.

If you look close at the pics, I do not thing the ACTUAL track the cars ride on are mounted to the orange "track'' yet. they seem to be mounted at the bottom but maybe only to the 2nd cat walk on ka. Id assume just because the orange parts are in place doesnt mean the track is 100% there yet.

I see what you mean… reference this photo to see what he's talking about. Where the brakes are, on the side you can see things mounted to the outside of the brackets where up higher there is nothing attached to the brackets.

gallery_0_223_7889941.png

So some new info on ZDOD came in today.

-It will operate in light drizzle, but obviously be closed in thunderstorms or downpours but further decision on this will be based on testing and inspection.

-Because all of the gondolas rise at the same time,but drop at different times, if one gondola is out of commission, they all are because they need to run together.

-There will be themeing which will take place primarily in the queue including landscaping.

I guess they chose to have the gondolas run together to save maintenance costs by only having one mechanism for all 3 cars. I just hope that doesn't mean the ride is down too much. I'm glad to see that there will be theming though!