VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Line Cutters

JetsDevs4Lyf

We all have experienced the classics. The "my friends are wiaitng for me" or "I just got out of line to go to the bathroom and my group is up ahead" type of scenarios. While I know noone likes line cutters, everyone seems to deal with them in different ways. So feel free to come in here to talk about this problem every theme park, including our own, seems to have. Do you happen to do anything when someone tries to cut a line you are on. Maybe you have a good story about a situation about someone cutting lines for an attraction. Or perhaps you just want to discuss the current park policies on line cutting and any suggestions you might have for improving them. No matter what, if it's about this annoying problem feel free to bring it here as I am sure I am not alone in being quite annoyed by line cutters.

It was nice to see the park's security actively stopping line cutting this past season. On several occasions I witnessed guest being evicted from queues, although I am not sure if they were kicked out of the park.

Personally, I don't mind if one kid is trying to catch back up with his family or if someone asks if they can pass to get back with their group. I despise the six pack of teenage girls who do the "call ahead" routine- making like they are talking on their cell phones and using it as a GPS device to reconnect with an imaginary friend up in the station. In more than one situation I've had the "Oh, I need to ride with my friend" spiel and have told them to tell their friend to join them back here instead. I must be getting old.

When I worked Parachuter's Perch, a ride known for a slow moving line due to limited seating capacity, we would spot people cutting in line. Typically they would encounter someone along their way that wouldn't let them pass but they were still able to bypass half the line at that point. Instead of ejecting them, we would let them stay there, wait the last 20+ minutes, and then refuse to let them ride once they got to the loading area. This way it was just as much an inconvenience for them and a total waste of time because in the end the only thing they received was a trip to the exit.

^ That's how you deal with them, make 'em pay! Op- :Readit: those who waited properly- :parachute: cutter- :sneaky2:

We never let cutters pass us. If they get pissy and start making a scene then good, they'll be gone.

Edited by redsoxfan0810

I hate linecutters. You have to be careful with people who cut in line because you don't know how they are going to react. A few years ago while in line for Superman a gang of kids tried to cut in front of me. I did not let them but the whole time walking though the queue (which was empty) they kept cursing at me. Another time in line for the parachutes this drunk guy was fighting with this other non drunk guy that he accused of cutting in line, (but in fact it was the drunk who did). Came real close to a fist fight.

Edited by The Master

^ You really do have to be careful sometimes. I think the worst are the ones where you have a mixed group of some younger guys and girls because I have noticed that in those situations some of the guy feel the need to try to play the "hero" and stand up against you evil person who will not let them cut.

I was very pleased last year with the line cutting enforcement as a whole as it was much better than the years before. On one of the park's busier days we had a woman in front of us waiting by herself for the ride. The line was about an hour for Nitro that day so it wasn't exactly a quick and swift line. After waiting for about 45 minutes her children came strolling down the side of the railing (avoiding confrontation by walking through the line itself. Very quickly a security guard came up behind them and told them they would have to leave the line to which the mother told him no they didn't she had saved their place and she would leave instead. Security removed them from the line but the mother was very upset demanding to see his boss. We were all happy to see how quick and thoroughly security acted on the situation and also how they were sure to remove the patrons from the line before allowing it to escalate any further which I am sure it did eventually.

They need to fix the part of the line fence for Nitro. In Nitro's queue there is a spot where people jump over the fence from the exit back into line and cut in. Both the fence and railings that they land on are buckling from so many people doing that. For some reason line cutting happens more often in east coast parks than in the parks in other parts of the US.

Edited by The Master

Having grown up going to Great Adventure, and thereafter traveling the country and visiting it's theme parks, I've seen it all as far as line cutters go. Probably the worst is in Orlando, where thousands of non english speaking tourists converge at once. (primarily huge tour groups from Brazil). The people simply cut the line, then use their inability to understand English as an excuse. At Universal Orlando, I had the cell number of one of the security guys who was my friend. One time I called his cell from the line when 20 brazilians cut at one time,(by simply unhooking the rope for the disabled entrance and walking right into the attraction like no other people were even present) then gleefully watched them get ejected from the attraction.

The only thing I would find reasonably acceptable, is if it is a super long line, and if the spot on line has not yet reached the attactions entrance and someone has to go to the bathroom, to secure an understanding with the people both in front and in back of the spot in question to return after relieving oneself, and be sure to return quickly before the line enters the main queue. Usually people don't mind, as long as one communicates respectfully. This was tolerated at Great Adventure back in 93, when Batman the ride had a 2.5 hour wait. (over an hour before even entering the main queue). Of course, times have changed and even this might no longer be tolerated. (i.e. one person gets an ok to leave the line to pee, and 15 come back with the person. It's happened)

^ I really don't mind that at all when one person has to use the restroom and is respectful and quick about it. The only exception is, as you say, when they suddenly reappear again with their entire group.

During Fright Fest this past season, as usual the line for the Terror Trail was large as always. We got lucky and got on line as the fourth group to get in the attraction. While we were waiting, a group of about six people came out of nowhere (for us we were behind the huge troll they displayed by the opening) and hopped into the line with their friends. Security quickly came over and told them they would have to go to the end of the line if they wanted to visit the attraction. After a bit of arguing the group got out of line and proceeded to go somewhere else. About fifteen minutes later, the same group returned to the same place in line this time emerging from the Character Cafe and walkng directly to the line. This time people just yelled things at them and while we were entering the trail, security (the same guards in fact) were speaking to them. I am not sure what happened there, but I hope they had to go to the back of the line simply because this was the night that the Terror Trail closed down really early due to incidents between Characters and guests.

The way I control it is this, Im not looking to drop the gloves and fight so I just stand in there path and let them push their way through and then give them a dirty look, one person dont bother me but the group of 6 really burns me up...

I great way to control line cutting is with a crossbow :P

What is the Wii experience? I've seen it on the map, but I am not sure what it is.

Sorry to go off topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread with such a small question.

• 1 month later...

well i personally hate line cutters the worst expierience ive had with them was last year at FF the terror trail line rapped around the entire merry go round and like up to where houdinis was then people would try to cut by us saying they were on a differnet line and eventually just stood next to us untill we started to enter the actually fenced in queue and then we called security and they were kicked out for cursing us out and threatening my dad. i was very happy with security but not of the organization of the line they should move it some where with less traffic not in the middle of the park! :Screwy:

^ I think you are right. The park needs to have the trail and queue in a more self-contained area to minimize the opportunity for people to "join in" the line. The Old Country, behind Looney Tunes Seaport, the path between El Toro and Medusa, and even the Great American Road Race track would be good options.

GAdv always seems not to be able to set up temporary line queues for FF very well. The old queue lines for Hayride into the Unknown, Brutal Planet, and the Terror Trails were usually set up poorly, mainly the queue paths were setup too wide.

We definitely got a few nasty stares and comments as we tried to get accross the line for the Terror Trail last year so that we could enter or exit the Circus Psycho area of the park. But I can't really blame people for being in a pissy mood when you take into account how many of them probably ended up getting cut in front of. Then on that night was when the trail closed down due to an incident so the lines certainly put some people in bad moods.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would share a little situation from this passed weekend. We had an issue where two women and a child caused a slight problem on the Log Flume. About halfway into the hour line, these two women began working their way up the line telling people they were meeting someone. As they got behind us they got into a yelling match with the group of people waiting. Once that calmed down, the woman began actually pushing one of our friends in the back because she would not let her past, and when I switched places to try to settle things down, the woman actually just began walking into me and trying to push past my arm which was firmly grasping the hand rails (I commoly hold onto both rails so that anyone who tries to cut through has to physically either move my hand or ask me to my face to get by me). When she could not move my arm, her and the two epople she were with hopped through the rail and onto the other side at which time they took a place in the line in front of a couple who clearly did not know them and just stayed there. There was no group they were catching up to or anything, they were simply attempting to not have to wait under the wood canopy even though everyone else had to do the same thing. Thye were too far in front of us, especially with Flash Pass open on the ride, when we got up there for me to say anything to the ride attendants about them cutting through probably 30 minutes in lines, and noone else said anything, but I have to ay it was extremely annoying and I think after the ride they were getting screamed at by the group who was behind us as they had taken up a bench by the Fort. Quite aggrivating on an otherwise great day, and I have to say I love on Nitro how there are the weldings from the rail to the fences so that people cannot walk up the gravel beside the walkway :)

I have seen linecutters pull "we are with somebody BS" alot. Something like that happened to me in line for Nitro years ago and the linecutter had the nerve to call me white trash when I would not let her pass. After I bellowed back at her I must have scared right out of line LOL. It seems mostly women who use " I am with somebody" to linecut.

Edited by The Master