VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc Safari Mumblings

I think the tour guide told us yesterday that some of the elephants and rhinos were original from the opening in 1974.

Its really cool to think about. They live 50-65 years on average.

I noticed while touring the Safari last week, that the original three lane roadway sections are in bad shape. Especially some of the outside lanes have deteriorated to rubble. I was also struck by how narrow the three lanes were. Considering how big cars were in the early 70's, it seems odd that the lanes would only be 8-9 feet wide. Then again, it was not intended for high-speed traffic.

As long as the middle lane remains solid, I imagine they are just going to let the outside lanes return to nature over time. They have built a significant amount of other roadways for both park attendees and staff.

Edited by dougdrummer

• 1 year later...

So NJ.com posted a video to Facebook recently about the Safari. There were several comments, one from a former gate guard (Bob Badgley). He said that several animals have starved to death due to the park buying the minimum amount of food and the animals not sharing. Can any current or former staff comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by MidnightCat

The park doesn’t skimp on animal feed and food.  I would imagine that some of the animals fight over food just because of basic instincts (survival of the fittest).  However, if any animal is lacking its basic nutritional needs I believe that animal would be separated and cared for individually.  Their vets and Safari staff are some of the best.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...