VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Lake Grandstand and the old Bavarian/backside of Movietown area

hollyferry

Hi everyone,

I practically lived at GA in the 90's. Season passes yearly :-)

This year, after at least 12 years, it's our first season back. There are so many changes (most upsetting no more Rolling Thunder and Scream Machine)...some I like, others, eh.
My questions: Do they still do anything at the Great Lake Grandstand? I know I'm dating myself, but I loved the Lethal Weapon Stunt shows and the nightly fireworks. Having young children (1, 5, 8) and being that the park just started staying open until 10, we haven't stayed until closing. They don't still do the fireworks, do they? Any rumors on plans for it?

And on to the back side of Movietown (where the Chiller used to be) and the old Bavarian area...any plans for there? What is it used for? Or where they used to have the Batman Stunt Spectacular?
If this is already in a thread somewhere, any links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

They still have fireworks a few times a year. Old Country was closed after the 2007 by the previous management (they also closed down sections in other parks like Kentucky Kingdom). With the park getting new bumper cars in 2012 and the Music Express no longer operational they have no use for that section right now and hopefully in the future it will reopen with new rides. The stunt arena is still used for some events such as award ceremonies when the park has school music competitions.

My personal theory is that they originally were going to reopen Old Country in 2012 and put SkyScreamer where the enterprise used to be, but they realized how expensive it would be for them to fix those rides up so they just put new versions of them in instead. IMO that's why the smaller flat rides from 2012 mirror the ones from Old Country (the bumper cars and the scrambler themed to music).