VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rolling Thunder

My first trip to Great Adventure was in June of 1979. Rolling Thunder was brand new, and I rode it 6 times that day. On that trip, and all subsequent trips, I always noticed a specific odor right before entering the station, also around the "chewing gum tunnel" that one passes through under the braking stretch when riding the left track. It is a sweet, burning wood kind of smell, and within a few seconds the nose gets used to it and it becomes unnoticeable. I had always thought it was from the friction of the brakes that caused the smell. It was always there, even as late as 1993, which was my last visit before moving to Oregon. Since then, I have been on several wooden coasters, notably the Gwazi double wood at Busch Gardens Tampa and the Mean Streak at Cedar Point, I specifically sniffed the air as I entered the station, but no Rolling Thunder type smell at all.

Does anyone know what that smell was/is and if it is still noticeable when entering Rolling Thunder's station?

If it's the same smell that I am thinking about it is the cedar wood used for the walls of the queue line leading to the station. I have the same recollection of the strong sweet smell when Roaring Rapids first opened. The snake-like queue for Rapids was lined with a cedar picket fence and to this day that smell instantly takes me back to that line as well as Rolling Thunder.

I think you're right! I remember that smell so vividly too, I remember when we would be waiting on line for the left track we would try and guess how close to the tunnel until "the smell". It was a welcome sign that we would be riding soon.

I am really looking forward to riding Rolling Thunder again this June. (is the smell still there?)

The infield trees

The last time I was there, in 1993, I remember waiting on line for the left track and noticing how large the pines were getting.

I still vividly remember those trees from 1979 when they were very small and didn't block the view of the track at all. I would imagine they are fully grown by now and instead of viewing the ride across a field one is viewing it through a small forest. Anyone have a picture of the infield view taken from the left line?

Wow! Looks like they cut some trees down to make way for the El Toro track, and only the trees closest to the Rolling Thunder station still survive. I did, however see an older picture from when Kingda Ka was being built, and it seems as if those little trees did indeed grow into a forest before they were taken down. I also noticed the trees on the second infield of Rolling Thunder, by the high first turn.. These trees seem to have grown to the height of the ride track, which I find incredible!

The picture you posted above of the Kingda Ka entrance. I had to take a double take- I recognized that section of RT's track from when KK's area was parking lot and we would always drive past it with the car. Now we can actually walk past it when getting on KK. Very cool.

It must be a really cool view now for people waiting on line for RT's left track, they get to see RT,KK, and ET all in action at once. Can't wait till June to see it with me own eyes!

• 1 month later...

I tell you what, this evening I had a great ride in the green car on Rolling Thunder and I have to say I don't think I have enjoyed that ride as much as I did in a long time. The last few times I have ridden the near side track, and the ride was fun but not like excellent. The difference in riding the far track for me was awesome and I honestly have to say that this is going to become a part of my regular routine now because it was one fo the highlights of my evening tonight :)

• 1 month later...

I rode on Rolling Thunder last week for the first time in 15 years, and it still packs a punch. We only went on the left track, I chose that one to see if the cedar smell was still there. I was expecting it. So when we got up to the tunnel I sniffed the air, and to my horror was greeted with the smell of vomit.

Not only was the ceder smell gone, but someone yarked right next to the tunnels entrance. So much for nostalgia!

When I worked at Universal Orlando, they had these special packets of scented kitty litter that quickly soaks up the liquid content and deodorizes the offensive matter. Of course this is only effective with small little upchucks. People who eat like a gavone then go on fast moving rides immediatley after

are bound to lose it at some point, causing horror and disgust among spectators and dreaded inconvenience to staff.

In any case, I will be going to the park once more either tomorrow or Wednesday before I return to Florida, so I'll sniff around again, but much more warily this time. Where is Knoebals Haunted House?

The park still uses blot out to clean up those natural causes. It does have a distinct odor. Knoebels is located an hour and a half northwest of Allentown. It's a park with lots of old-fashioned spin rides and two top-notch wooden coasters. The Hauned House is the icing on the cake. I've never come out of there without jumping at something that pops out of its dark rooms.