VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kings Dominion 6/26/14

SFGadv123

On our way up from South Carolina we decided to take a trip to Kings Dominion. We left our hotel at around 630 am and arrived to the park at 12 pm. Temps were in the 90's so it wasn't the best day to go to the park, but crowds were manageable so that was good.

After entering, we went to Dominator, but the line was very long, so we figured we would come back. The first ride of the day was Shockwave. It as a pretty rough ride but that was expected since it is old. The line was around 20 minutes long.

Next, we decided it was too hot and we would go on one more ride and then hit the water park. So we went on Intimidator 305. Great ride. It was only running one train so the line took a long time even when there was barely anyone in it, I agree with it being described as a mix of Millennium Force and Maverick. I love those sharp twists like that ones on Maverick. I only got on it once so I can't really rank it. Definitely in the top 10 coasters I have been on.

So we hit the water park and got something to eat, nothing too great, just your standard water slides.

We went on Rebel Yell next, a nice racing roller coaster. It is your classic woodie, wasn't too bumpy for being open since 1975.

Next we went to the the Eiffel Tower. You can get some great views of the park. I would post my pictures but I can't get them on my computer. If I get them to work i'll post it in here.

After this we went on Volcano, The Blast Coaster. The line was long and took about 45 minutes. This ride was awesome. I just wish it was longer. It is also a pretty repetitive ride after the launches and roll out, with 3 heartline rolls with some turns.

Next, we went on Avalanche which had no line. I have always wanted to go on a bobsled coaster, and I finally did. Pretty sweet ride.

Anaconda had a short line. I liked the first drop where you go underground, but to be honest that was the highlight of the ride. This ride hurt my neck and was pretty rough.

It was getting late and we only had time for a few more rides. We got on line for Flight Of Fear, and I had no idea what to expect. It is just like Joker's Jinx in Sic Flags America, but this one is better since it is inside and you don't really know what is gonna happen next.

To end the day we went on Backlot Stunt Coaster. The best part of this ride it the effects. From going through tunnels, going through a "parking garage", police cars, and gunfires, the theme of this ride is great. Good way to end the trip.

Overall, Kings Dominion is a beautiful park (much more than great adventure), and has a decent amount of good roller coasters. The water park is nothing special, but is included with admission so that is a positive.

1. Intimidator 305

2. Volcano, The Blast Coaster

3. Backlot Stunt Coaster (it looks boring but once you ride it you'll feel different)

Yeah everybody says Backlot has a certain charm that makes it one of their favorite coasters. Thanks!

I agree with the top 3 but I give 2 honorable mentions...

Avalance... just because it's a rare ride and the second half is extremely fun

and

Flight of Fear...Even though its the same a Jokers Jinx at SFA, the 1st time I rode it I did not know which way I was going

I agree with the top 3 but I give 2 honorable mentions...

Avalance... just because it's a rare ride and the second half is extremely fun

and

Flight of Fear...Even though its the same a Jokers Jinx at SFA, the 1st time I rode it I did not know which way I was going

I'm a huge LIM coaster fan, and I'm looking forward to Flight of Fear. The only difference I've seen between the two are that the FoF creations have mid-course break runs that slow the train down significantly.