VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Alcatraz- The Ride Lives On

29yrswithaGApass

Alcatraz: The Ride's official web page is still up and running even though the ride never operated in 2007. I only rode this ride once and my Co-pilot had us "flying" upside down the entire time. It's pretty hard to shoot at targets when everything is upside down!

Click the image below to visit the site!

map.jpg

That's interesting to say the least. In all honesty I can't say that I ever even saw the attraction. I had heard of it and I even think one of the coupon books I had mentioned Alcatraz the ride for maybe a buy one admission get one free or something. For some reason I just could never locate it between the two rides. If it were standing today I could most likely not point it out to you if asked haha. How was the ride anyway. It seemed like an interesting concept but rarely have I found anyone who rode to get an opinion from.

You didn't miss much by not riding it! It was a rather dull ride with lackluster graphics. The motion simulation could have saved it but that was relatively tame too. For me the best part of it was being able to venture inside the park's old admin building which housed the ride. The setup was pretty elaborate for a temporary attraction with a gift shop leading to a preshow area and then ultimately onto the simulator staging area which was located on the far (Superman) side of the building.

I guess the ride was fun for true arcade game fans but once seemed to be enough for me. Come to think of it, once must have been enough for a lot of people or it would still be open!

In terms of a temporary attraction this reminds to me a much lesser extent of one of the ride's in the Disney Quest complex in Downtown Disney. YOu could build your own rollercoaster in a planning area, and then once you were done and satisfied with what you had built, and the intenisty rating it received, you submitted it to the computer and waited on a short line to ride it yourself in a true 360 degree simulator. I really enjoyed it as it was something different, and the Alcatraz concept seems like a much more primitive version of simulator.

I will admit I was a bit nervous when we were continually asked if we really wanted to ride it. But I thought the ovewrall experience was awesome as a whole. An upcharge attraction like this would really be nice lol. But I know it is probably a bit too expensive and advanced for the current park's budgetting. I do think it would catch on though, especially considering the ride would never have to be the same twice :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...