VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The A-Frame Rides

When flats were plentiful at GA, the park had all four A-frame rides pictured here at the same time. It's kind of ironic that the only one we still have today is the one that was installed first, the Buccaneer in 1980.

Like roller coasters, similar looking rides don't usually offer the same ride experience. That was definitely the case for these four machines.

Anyone have a favorite?

gallery_2_4_137208.jpg

I have been on 3 of those rides pictured. Buccaneer is the best of the 3 and I am gald the best one is staying for now. But with the management these days we don't know how much time Buccaneer has. Still it is a shame the park has gone down from 4 A frames to 1 but hopefully it won't go lower!

The Buccaneer is still a pretty reliable ride- the manufacturer still exists (Intamin), and it is still found in a lot of parks. I think it may be safe for a couple of years yet. The Looping Starship's age started catching up with it and even though it too was manufactured by Intamin, few models still remain in parks today. The Evolution was just an operations nightmare for GA (I am not sure how reliable it is now at Six Flags St Louis). And finally, the Pendulum was simply a highly marketable attraction that was easy to rotate to another park.

Now if we could just get some rides rotated into GA! :)

I've been on copies of buccaneer and pendulum, having only actually ridden Space Shuttle. My favorite would have to be Pendulum, judging off of my rides on SFNE's Tomahawk. Evolution does look very fun, I wish I could've rode it, since I'm not going to Missouri anytime soon.

Lol we have been a really charitable park to this point haven't we? I think soon all that kindness towards other parks will come back to us in a big way :). It really is amazing though how fast the A frames havegone the way of the Dodo so to speak. They are a fun form of ride I will admit so it's odd that more of them arent produced.

^ Good point on the new rides. We definately have been lucky not only recently but in the past to have our park get very new ride hardware so we can't complain there. I think right now the industry as a whole is stuck in a "build the next big coaster" mode and in a few years when everyone snaps out of it the flats will make a comeback.

When the park first announced Evolution and before I ever saw it operate, I originally thought the ride would move freely at the same speed as the Looping Starship. I was at the park when they tested Evolution for the first time and was happy to see it was more of a controlled "motorized" swing.

• 3 weeks later...

Pendulum was my favorite. I never got to do Evolution sadly. I've seen it operate, and the line was always very long when it was open and I'd always tell myself, "Next time".

-Dainan "Sigh..." Rafferty

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say atleast GA had enough common sence to keep this ride.If the buccanneer evr leaves the park i think that i will have a witch doctor cast a spell on the parkso hat no one will ever go there again.Lol. SF need the buccaneer to keep the kids who pay there salary comming to the park. I think the new managment that the park ha this year has already messed up by removing the swings and looping starship. They really need to redeem themselves in 09. All i have to ay to them is good luck, you better pull your head out of your butts and see that flats keep the park afloat, not 500 foot tall coasters!

buccaneer is my favorite because i never rode any of the other ones except the looping starship but it hurt my waist when it went upside down