VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags parks ban selfie sticks

laurenalexis

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this hidden on the parks fright fest page.

The Twister

If you want to know the real reason why selfie sticks were banned from park property, you’re not going to find it on the website.

Urban legend has it that the incident happened during Cheerfest 2014. Everywhere you looked that day there were clouds of hairspray, big bows, glittery stickers and the echoes of “Ready? Okay!” The Rutherford Rockets, with their competition time not for another four hours, decided to head out into the park to pass the time.

They had ridden Nitro, El Toro and Kingda Ka when cheer captain Lacey had the big idea of doing a selfie contest to see who could get the best on-ride picture. Despite the park’s strict no-loose-articles policy, all twelve girls piled on the Twister and kept their selfie sticks hidden until the ride had been checked and cleared for operation. When the ride reached its peak the girls whipped out their selfie sticks in preparation for the intense sequence of flips they had observed while waiting in line. Much to their surprise the ride operator initiated a new ride sequence, catching the girls off guard. As the ride began its cycle all twelve girls were impaled by their selfie sticks. As Twister continued its tumultuous tumble through the air, blood began to splatter the guests watching in horror down below.

Supposedly security officers rushed to confiscate all cell phones, cameras and recording devices to be sure that the grizzly scene was never went viral and stayed out of the press. However, rumor has it that the harnesses are now painted crimson red because no matter how hard the clean-up crew scrubbed they could never fully remove the blood spatter from the foam. If you ask team members about the tale, they will always discount it as an urban legend, much like the Stuntman’s Freefall scalping story. But true or not, better to play it safe – who would want their obituary reading “death by selfie stick?”

page here

That's a really elaborate story lol. I wonder who came up with it? I didn't read what you wrote above it so actually believed it until the whole "impaled by selfie sticks" thing XD (because, people may just be dumb enough to sneak selfie sticks onride)

I like the write ups - they are pretty edgy. Most corporations tend to play it safe and pc so it is somewhat refreshing in a gruesome sort of way. I was hoping to hear something about why the Twister riders couldn't have open toe shoes, but being impaled by selfie sticks was just as good!

I like the write ups - they are pretty edgy. Most corporations tend to play it safe and pc so it is somewhat refreshing in a gruesome sort of way. I was hoping to hear something about why the Twister riders couldn't have open toe shoes, but being impaled by selfie sticks was just as good!

As an enthusiast, I enjoy reading the story, with the in-jokes and such. But it sure feels stupid to post something treating this topic so lightly (let alone insensitive to those folks who have been injured or worse on rides). And the way it's told, I would argue, normalizes sneaking items onto rides.

I wonder if the edginess comes from an intentional directive or just a lack of proper review and oversight. We know that they tend to not show much concern about what they throw on their website.