VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hershey Holiday in the park (Thanksgiving weekend)

Mrpq

Im planning a trip to Lancaster Pa Thanksgiving weekend and was trying to get over to Hershey Park for the Holiday in the Park event. What should I be prepared for? Large crowds? is it work going? Its open 12 to 10, should I am at spending the whole time there or can I get there later in the day and still enjoy it? I have never been to the event before so I really have no idea what to expect. I already assume Thanksgiving weekend might be a bad idea but it is what it is lol

Typically crowds are low around opening and pick up in the late afternoon when the park is open is open earlier in the day. With some coasters open this year that might increase crowds and it is possible Wildcat and Sooperdooperlooper aren't running multiple trains if they are working on the other trains for their annual maintenance.

I wouldn't think you would need more than 4 or 5 hours at the most unless you are planning to go to shows and the zoo and riding the non thrill rides like the monorail, kissing tower, train and others.

I really want to go just for the experiences and get some rides in. Don't plan on doing shows or stuff like that. Just figured it was something fun to do with the gf. Also plan on doing the Strasburg rail road and other local things. always did this weekend trip with my family as a kid so I want to keep the tradition going

We had Thanksgiving Dinner at the parks hotel two years ago and it was great experience.

Anything you could think of was there to eat and some!

We also did the park and it was cold and not that crowded.

Everything was numb after a spin on the Fliers!

I'd do it again in a second...just no leftover turkey sandwiches.

• 4 weeks later...

Trip is all planned out. Staying in Lancaster. Leaving NY Friday morning and headed to the Strasuburg Rail Road to spend the afternoon there (shop tour, train ride and what not) Sat going to try and get up early do some local stuff in Amish Country and head to Hershey in the afternoon. Park says its open from 12 to 10. I don't think I am going to aim to be there for opening. If I get there by 4 I am hoping that leaves plenty of time for some rides and to enjoy the park. leaving to come home Sunday

• 4 weeks later...

Got some bad news, Hershey is only running single trains for both Wildcat and Super Looper, the second trains are already removed from the tracks and put into storeage. This means even on a crowded day the coaster lines will be long and slow because of the single train operation.

I guess 1 train running at Hershey effects them worse since Great Adventure not only has more coasters open and also has Skull Mountain and Nitro running 2 trains.

As much as I wanted to see coasters run at Hershey, I'm more happy with what's being run at Great Adventure. Sooperdooperlooper is one of my favorite coasters, Wild Cat has been rough the last few times I have ridden it, Laff Track looks fun but the spinning might be too much for it to be more than a one ride a trip and I don't care about Cocoa Cruiser except for the credit. I'd like to see Lightning Racer open instead of Wild Cat so they could maybe run both sides with 1 train on each side.

Are they still chaining off rows for Fast Track? That has got to hurt capacity too if they are already down to 1 train and losing 1/6 or 1/7 of the train for those chained off rows that usually go out empty (at least when I have been there).

They were not chaining off rows for Wildcat, but they sometimes didn't allow stand by people into a couple if a handicap was waiting. Laff Track's spinning isn't bad at all, it was still running several cars and is the most crowded ride at the park. I didn't ride Super Looper as it had a worse line than in the middle of summer! It cannot be overstated how much single train operations sucks.

Edited by The Master

Just posted a trip report.

quick run down on key notes in that

- one train mad for over hour long waits.

- Laf Trax spinning, not bad at all

- they are planning on more coasters open next year according to the what the crew told me over at Wild Cat

-I didn't find Waild Cat to be overly rough at all

-if a coaster had rows chained for fast pass but there where no fast past riders they opening those rows to people in the line