VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

APP- Pass holders predominate as Great Adventure opens

29yrswithaGApass

From the Asbury Park Press:

Pass holders predominate as Great Adventure opens

REGULARS ENJOY PARK BEFORE SUMMER CRUSH OF OUT-OF-AREA VISITORS

By Matt Pais • MANAHAWKIN BUREAU • April 6, 2008

JACKSON — They ran to El Toro, hammed it up for pictures with Porky Pig and scarfed down burgers at Johnny Rockets, but most of all, they just had fun.

Six Flags Great Adventure opened its gates Saturday for the first time this year, allowing thousands to shake off the winter blues and take part in what has become a rite of spring.

"There's nothing like opening day," said Cindy Myers, 34, of Pemberton.

Myers, her husband Dale and their three children make the trip to Great Adventure often throughout the year and have learned that the sooner they get to the park the better.

"The kids really look forward to it. We get them season passes for Easter every year," she said.

And opening day is prime time to coaster hop, said 13-year-old Teal Myers.

"The lines are a lot shorter. That's why you have to come the first day," she said.

While the summer crush of out-of-area visitors might still be a few weeks away, there was plenty of life in the park, most of it from season pass holders like the Myers.

"We wanted to get out passes early and beat the crowd. Everything's been a breeze," said Cheryl Legaspi, 32, of Beachwood, who took in a Wiggles live performance with her husband Michael and their 2-year-old daughter Makayla.

The allure of a season pass — which for $89.99 buys unlimited access to the park and wild safari — is obvious for families like the Hnatiuks of Manchester. Dad Jeff, mom Laurie and kids Alyssa and Joseph visit the park around 20 times per year and were happy to pass through the gates for the first time in 2008.

"The kids have been talking about it all year. It's just a fun place," Jeff Hnatiuk said.

Luring families has always been a focus for the park, said spokeswoman Angel Aristone, but there has been even more of an emphasis on pleasing younger visitors in recent years.

"If people haven't come to the park in a while, it's great. We're up to four kids areas, and we're always adding," she said. "We still have the coasters, but it is something we're focusing on more and more."

For many, though, the allure of Great Adventure will always be found in the arching metal loops that dot the skyline like towers in New York City.

"This is my fourth year with a season pass," said 15-year-old David Dominguez of Bayville. "Definitely, El Toro is the best."

Standing next to him near a fountain at the main park entrance was 13-year-old Leann Bescript, who for the first time secured a season pass and all the benefits that come with it.

"I'm excited. My mom just dropped me off here because now I'm all grown up," she said.

Matt Pais: (609) 978-4582 or mpais@app.com