VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Park, 5/31/16

Yoshi

After only getting to Wildwater Kingdom 3 times last year, I want to visit more this year and the first weekday they are open this season seemed like a good choice for a visit.

The locker prices have been lowered this year. Small is $15, medium is $20 and large is $25. In 2014 and 2015 they were $20, $25 and $30. It's nice to see a lower price but it's still not as low as it was in 2013 when they had the non electronic lockers and with a season pass discount, a small locker was $11. For a price increase, the all season souvenir cup increased from $24.99 earlier this season to $29.99.

Normally on weekdays before school is over, Wildwater River and the original wavepool are closed. Today they were both closed as well as the 2nd changing area near the wavepool that is normally open even if the wavepool was closed. The Speed Slides, Kids Cove, red slide of Patriot's Plunge and Constrictor were also closed. Constrictor is my favorite slide in the park and did open up at around 4:45 when they added another lifeguard for the left side of the pool. Thunder Canyon was also closed with the ride drained.

In a little less than 90 minutes I was able to ride 13 slides. There were a lot of school trips today and they appeared to mostly stay on the ride side of the park.

After I was done with the waterslides and before going to the coasters I rode Whitewater Landing and Thunder Creek Mountain. Both are fun rides are Thunder Creek Mountain is the most soaking log flume I have ever ridden. You would expect the main drop to cause the soaking except it's a little few foot drop at the top of the ride right before the waterfall that turns off that has a wave of water get you.

With the school groups almost all gone, the ride side was empty except for Wild Mouse as usual.

I rode all the coasters once except for Stinger, Wild Mouse and Woodstock's Express. Since Thunderhawk had a completely empty station I went for the front row and it has an open front similar to the Millennium Flyer trains. I rode the red train of Steel Force that I haven't ridden this season and it was noticeably rougher compared to the blue and black trains. I don't know if it was just the car or the entire train and if I see the red train running next time I am at the park, I'm going to wait for a non wheel seat.

Cedar Creek Flyers seemed like was running slower than normal. I know Larson Flying Scooters have a slow setting and maybe that is Cedar Fair's way of dealing with the snapping issue, slow down the ride so much that you can't snap (I didn't try to snap).

On the way out of the park I also rode the Whip and Turbo Drop side of Dominator.

I like Dorney a lot more when Wildwater Kingdom is open since that is usually where I spend most of my time and these early season trips are the best time of the year to visit for short lines in the waterpark.

wwk1.JPG

wwk2.JPG

wwk3.JPG

wwk4.JPG

I liked the sample shirts on display. The Phillie Phanatic, Yoshi and is that Harley Quinn as well?

wwk5.JPG

Whitewater Landing's boat is somewhere under that splash

Since Thunderhawk had a completely empty station I went for the front row and it has an open front similar to the Millennium Flyer trains.

When did they change the trains? or front of the train?

Should have gone there on Sunday instead of HH... I could have gotten in there for free (Disabled Vet) and my family at a discounted rate.

Still can't afford SP to the park since we have Gadv passes... Not cost effective and too expensive to get both. Maybe I will switch over when I know we will be taking a Cedar Point trip.

Fast Lane shouldn't be needed. I'd be surprised if anything other than Wild Mouse and Thunder Canyon on the ride side and Aquablast in Wildwater Kingdom had more than a 5 to 10 minute wait and it is likely that all the coasters except Wild Mouse won't even have full stations.