VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Photo Trip Report: Cedar Point 6-25-16

rcji

Hi all - Hope everyone is doing well. Long time reader but haven't posted a whole lot recently. I'll never pass up an opportunity for a trip report though.This was my first trip to Cedar Point (finally). Got a group to make the 8+ hour drive, went to Cleveland for a day to visit the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as well. Ended up staying at a Holiday Inn in the city Vermilion. It was about 20 min from the park but it was closer to Cleveland which we were planning to go. Vermilion was a nice town as well. It was a beautiful day, nice weather, little hot. We got the fast lane plus to maximize our time there. Longest we waited was about 30 min for Valraven. I was pretty impressed with the park. It was very clean, nice staff and efficient for the most part with dispatching trains.

Short summary on the big rides we did:

GateKeeper

Very nice ride. I like a lot of the elements. This was my first wing coaster. The key holes are a very nice element of the ride.

Magnum

I understand this is an old ride and it was not going to be smooth. But it was un-comfortable to the point it hurts. Minus that it would have been a great ride. I can imagine the time it was opened it was ground breaking. Pretty spoiled nowadays with the smoothness of new rides.

Maverick

Might have been my favorite ride at the park.Very smooth, they have the new soft OTSR which were really nice. The speed never slows down. I really enjoyed this ride.

Mean Streak

Very similar to Magnum in the fact it could have been a great ride. This ride was extremely rough to the point my back was hurting when I got off. I would not recommend this ride to anyone. Hopefully the Mean Streak Renovations are true with RMC.

Millennium Force

One of my biggest reasons for wanting to go was this ride. I recently rode Superman Ride of Steel/Bizarro at SFNE last year. I really enjoyed Superman, probably my favorite steel coaster. After riding Millennium Force 2x, my opinion did not change. It was a great ride overall but I did not get the same WOW effect that I did with Superman. The first drop on Millennium Force was excellent as expected, but the first turn right after the drop really kills it. I didn't feel Millennium Force was their best ride at the park and I've been on a few other rides overall that I thought were better. I would take El Toro over Millennium Force also. That's just my opinion though.

Raptor

Great ride. Much better than Batman. I still like the Great Bear as my favorite inverted coaster.

Top Thrill Dragster

Not much to say about it. I enjoyed it. It was nice to get close to the ride. Their line queue goes under the track and in the middle of the ride, similar to the original Kingda Ka queue that I never got to experience. As far as which ride is better - The only thing TTD beats KK in right now is the smoothness and lap bars. I don't care too much that KK has the OTSR but KK has gotten really rough the last few years. The launch is noticeably faster on KK and the breaking is much smoother.

Valravn

My first time on a dive coaster. First drop was actually a lot of fun with the holding break. Restraints were pretty comfortable too. Great ride overall and it was the longest line at the park. I think it was over 2 hours at one point.

Wicked Twister

Very underrated ride. This I felt was one of their bests. The first launch was great. The turns going up and down I thought were really cool as well. I loved it.

Photos from whole trip

https://goo.gl/photos/oVEDUmywkEeisWiD6

Side Notes

-It's amazing to see the difference how other parks take so much better care of their rides than GADV.

-While waiting at a light leaving the rock n roll hall of fame museum, I saw Mike Wolfe (from American Pickers) on his motocycle in the same intersection as us. Picture can be seen in the link as well.

-Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum was excellent

-Cleveland was a ghost town when we were there Sunday

-Had a lot of fun in Ohio. Enjoyed my time there this weekend and look forward to go back in the future.

Thank you all for reading. See you at the park soon!

Sounds like you had a great trip! I found that Millennium Force comes alive at night and is a much better ride, although I've never ridden Superman SFNE to compare it to.

I agree exactly with your opinion of Mean Streak, I would love to see what RMC could do with it.

Yeah, MF is great but overrated. IMO, its differentiating factor is speed more than airtime or laterals or anything else.

Glad you liked CP and Cleveland. Bummer to hear people are still avoiding downtown so much. Maybe one day it'll rebound. And Vermillion! Love the Quaker Steak & Lube there.

Nice detailed report. I really enjoyed the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame as well.

Mean Streak was the only coaster I thought was bad and agree that RMC renovations would be great.

Yeah, MF is great but overrated. IMO, its differentiating factor is speed more than airtime or laterals or anything else.

Glad you liked CP and Cleveland. Bummer to hear people are still avoiding downtown so much. Maybe one day it'll rebound. And Vermillion! Love the Quaker Steak & Lube there.

received_10154217603456678.jpg

^Did that in Vermilion. It was great. Town was great too.

Mayflies were everywhere but they didn't bother us at all. They just love to sit all of the signs and cars.

Thank you all for reading.