VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Point August 2016

mkj3322

I'm planning a trip to cedar point (Haven't been there since I was a kid) for the first weekend in August. I can only imagine that the park will be very crowded on the Saturday that I plan on going. Due to time constraints, it looks like my group can only go for one day rather than 2. If we were to follow the method of working our way from the back of the park to the front, is it likely that we can hit each major coaster once? I'm planning to book a hotel tomorrow so I was curious to get opinions from a few others who may have went. I know that wait timesbchange depending on days and weather but I figured I'd be worth asking. Thanks guys!

You're better off with Fast Lane. It might be possible but you'll be way less stressed and can actually enjoy your time not baking in line all day if you just get it. If budget's not a major issue you're not going to be thinking about that $100 compared to the amazing time you had with friends and family not wasted in lines.

CP is tremendously efficient, so it's feasible (if not guaranteed) that you could get everything in. A line that would take 90 minutes at GAdv can easily take 30 or less there. That said, you'll guarantee a pretty amazing experience with Fast Lane, so it may make sense depending on budget.

Also, don't miss MaxAir and the fresh-cut fries!

Edited by pashacar

CP is tremendously efficient, so it's feasible (if not guaranteed) that you could get everything in. A line that would take 90 minutes at GAdv can easily take 30 or less there.

That's an extreme exaggeration. Plus, I've heard that CF now uses IROC safety training, which is the same training as SF. Their operations have supposedly slowed down a lot compared to previous years.

This year was my first time going, and it was about equivalent with Great Adventure.

It seems like they cut back on the amount of ride operators checking restraints at least at some of their parks as well. Talon and Hydra always had 4 people checking restraints and up until my trip a week and a half ago they only had 2 people checking restraints. At Knott's, Montezomma's Revenge only had 1 person checking restraints.

That's an extreme exaggeration. Plus, I've heard that CF now uses IROC safety training, which is the same training as SF. Their operations have supposedly slowed down a lot compared to previous years.

This year was my first time going, and it was about equivalent with Great Adventure.

I've visited CP at least once every year of my life; I know what I'm talking about here. No, every ride isn't 70% more efficient than the GAdv equivalent, but overall their lines move immensely faster and their rides are a lot more reliable, so your odds of having a great day without a Flash Pass are a lot higher.

I've visited CP at least once every year of my life; I know what I'm talking about here. No, every ride isn't 70% more efficient than the GAdv equivalent, but overall their lines move immensely faster and their rides are a lot more reliable, so your odds of having a great day without a Flash Pass are a lot higher.

My statement about IROC training and longer wait times this year comes from friends who live near the area and visit often.

Hmm, I haven't heard anything from my family nearby who also visit often, but it's too bad if it's the case.

That said, even if their emphasis on training and thorough staffing have started to wane a bit, I'm sure operations are still notably better than at GAdv across the board -- rides, admissions, food, etc.

^ Yeah, and lines will really thin out later. Also, you may know that platinum passholders and onsite hotel guests get early entry. Well, at the front gate, there's a section for this group where you need to show your credentials. But if you head to one of the three smaller gates, they often don't check, so you can get in early.

Then again, I love theme parks but 15 hours straight may be enough without an extra 16th.

Ive been hearing for years how great operations are at CP. They are good. But when some rides have tripple the amount SFGadv uses, for all the extra employees, they arent that much faster then SFgadv. But the one thing they do to save a lot of time is, once the train parks in the station, they open the air gates. SFGadv never does that.

• 3 weeks later...

-Cedar Fair Platinum Season Pass gets you an hour early entry and they even have rides running!

-Enter at the Marina Entrance...its a bit of a walk but you will not have the mass of people near the front entrance and right near Millennium Force.

-Maverick is a good first ride (if open) as the line usually gets pretty bad after that work your way to the front. It is all the way at the back of the park too.

-If the flies are active avoid the front row of any ride at dusk. (Unless you haven't eaten yet.)

-This weekend will probably be bad no matter what the weather. These are the last few weeks before school goes back in session in the CP area.

-You have plenty of hours in the park since they are open til midnight so stay late and enjoy!

We did open to close two days in a row with early entry (27 hours total) and it was absolutely exhausting but we ride a ton if rides and the first day it was cloudy in the morning and Millennium was a two train wait in the afternoon without fast lane. It was incredible.