VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Cedar Fair Platinum pass question

SatansHockey

Anyone know when the cheapest price is for this or do they not do sales like six flags?

I'm thinking about hitting up Cedar Point, Kings Island/Dominion and Carowinds over the course of next year plus Dorney is close by so the platinum pass would definitely be worth it.

Anyone else get one? Or have the dining pass as well?

I got one for the first time this year. I have no idea about the sales, but we got it around Jan or Feb by the time we decided to actually do a trip to CP and KI this year. (2 days at each). We also got to Carowinds and stopped at KD for 2 hours on the way home. Trying to go to Dorney for Haunt. I think we "broke even" at Carowinds, after the 4 days at CP/KI.

They're great parks that I definitely recommend getting to. Whether or not it's worth it completely depends on how many days you plan on spending at each park. Most likely it will be cheaper to get the pass and dining pass if you're doing all those parks.

Do you remember how much you paid? It's 189 right now and for new pass holders you get a free day at whatever park you choose to be your home park or if you're renewing you get a free flash pass.

What did you guys do for food?

Looking at the dining plan, you get a lunch and a dinner. No snacks and the free refill bottle is extra. It really is amazing how spoiled we are at great adventure when I start looking at prices.

My goal is to do a loop of Kennywood, 2 days at Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Dollywood and maybe Kings Dominion on the way back home.

Carowinds I would try to hit up on a trip to Florida that I already have planned. That would be my only new Cedar Fair new park, I haven't been to the others in awhile. Dorney I could go to whenever cause it's only 90 minutes away.

Edited by SatansHockey

I have the dining pass for Dorney only. It's not as good as the Six Flags dining pass with no snack and no souvenir cup and it's more expensive than Six Flags. One advantage is no set meal times like Six Flags and you just have to wait 4 hours in between meals.

Right now is the best price for the Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. No other sales.

Unlike Six Flags the Season Pass is NOT good the remainder of this year unless you pay more.

They also give a discount at renewal and this year are giving a free one day Fast Pass Plus for 2016 at Cedar Point (almost worthless as lines are minimal this time of year).

Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Dorney Park, Carowinds, Cedar Point are close enough to make it worth the $$.

I don't eat Theme Park food so I don't even consider any Dining Plan....that stuff will kill you.

Do you remember how much you paid? It's 189 right now and for new pass holders you get a free day at whatever park you choose to be your home park or if you're renewing you get a free flash pass.

$204 platinum pass + $135 dining = $362.26 total with tax/fees. It looks like we actually bought them mid-April.

What did you guys do for food?

Ate all our meals in the parks. Being at a park from opening to closing, we definitely got hungry with just the 2 meals, so had to buy snacks or even a third meal. (But we're also big people and big-ish eaters)

Pro-tip: The Panda Express at Kings Island gives you a 2-entree plate on the dining plan! The one at Cedar Point gives you a lousy bowl. Overall, the Cedar Fair dining plan is incredibly skimpy. Some locations touted as being "on the dining plan" will only have one sub-par item. At Cedar Point, we did the all-you-can-eat buffet thing (Called Something Marketplace?), which was amazing but required an up-charge on top of the dining plan. Chickies and Petes only has a single item on the plan - a cheese steak. (It's still amazing, but ...really? one item?)

Look online to see if there's a list of locations and food items available on the dining plan at each park. Decide from there if you'll be fine living with those limited options.

Recap: I recommend The Marketplace buffet thing at CP and Harmony Hall at Carowinds. Do Panda Express at KI and not CP.

Answers in bold

I wouldn't have thought that the same restaurants in the chain would vary. At Dorney, Chickies and Petes has a cheese steak, chicken cheese steak and chicken cutlet sandwich and maybe 1 other item.

Carowinds also only had a cheesesteak at their Chickies and Petes. And it was only a half sub, where as CP's was a full sub. CF's meal plan is honestly a huge game of chance as to what you are allowed to order and even what you'll get in the end.

However, I do have to say that the same thing can happen with SF's dining plan, but not as bad. Until either this year or last year, Gadv was the only nearby park with Dippin' Dots on the plan. SFNE and SFA both were not on the plan, but I believe they are now. Nevertheless, we're really spoiled by SF's dining plan and especially Gadv's offerings. Most items are on the plan, and there's actually a few places where every single item is on the plan.

Dorney is also half a cheese steak, with a side of crab fries (Monster Grille has a whole cheese steak)

I agree Great Adventure's dining plan is really good, there is so much variety. There are still some different items I plan to try on future trips compared to Dorney where it's almost all pizza, burgers, hot dogs and the steak sandwiches.

I have a 2016 platinum pass with dining and the unlimited drink cup which came out to around $320 or so. It was totally worth it, I did around five days at Kings Dominion from March-August, one at Dorney, and five combined days of admission at Cedar Point/Kings Island. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

My gf and me decided that we are gonna get the platinum pass and the dining, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

We are going to go to Dorney tomorrow(Saturday) cause we have 1 free day to visit in 2016 but I haven't actually purchased the pass yet. Do they charge a processing fee at the park? Is there any benefit to buying online? If I buy in advance will they charge us for parking? I looked for the answer on Google for these questions and didn't see anything answering them.

Also did you guys upload your photo or take a picture at the park? I figured it might be quicker to upload a picture. How long does processing normally take at the park?

Edited by SatansHockey

There is no processing fee at the park.

I think if you pay for parking, you can get it reimbursed from guest services but not 100% sure on that. I'm not sure if buying online will avoid the parking fee since I have renewed online the past few years and had a current pass so I haven't had to deal with it. I got the picture taken at the park and just use the same photo every year.

Processing shouldn't take too long at the park, they don't have nearly as many stations as Great Adventure has (back when you had to go to the processing center at Great Adventure) and it takes longer but there shouldn't be much of a line this time of year. I'd expect it to take 10 - 15 minutes at the most, probably less. Unlike Great Adventure, the pass processing center it is outside the main entrance.

Not related to the pass but make sure if you are staying after 6 to have everything you need with you (if you plan to leave something like a jacket in the car) as there is no re entry after 6 during Haunt.