VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #40: Crowd Control

How would you handle the crowds?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How would you handle the crowds?

• Eliminate Membership Passes
    • Raise Season Pass Prices

I would raise season pass prices. Paying $64 for a gold season pass with parking, admission to Hurricane Harbor and all Six Flags theme parks in North America is an amazing price when the Cedar Fair equivalent is around 3 times the price. I think if Six Flags raised the gold pass to $90 - $100, it would still be a great value and might reduce crowd levels. The summer thrill pass also probably adds to crowds. $72.99 or the same price as the gate price for a 1 day admission and gets someone unlimited visits until Fright Fest begins.

I'm not sure that Great Adventure gets overcrowded that often. There are a lot less days where the park is empty or crowds are low compared to years ago but other than Fright Fest, events like concerts or bring a friend free days, I don't think crowds are overwhelming. It seems like there are days that have more moderate level crowds. I would use this past Sunday as an example of that. Normally Sunday of opening weekend is almost always walk ons or short waits. This year it was a lot more crowded although still 20 - 30 minute waits for the major coasters in the middle of the day so overall crowds were still on the lower amount.

Why would GA want to control crowds? The more people that come to the park, even if with a season pass, the more revenue they generate in food, merchandise and service sales. Jacking up season passes a few bucks is not going to deter attendance too much, and certainly not make up for the millions that will be generated by those that come to the park.

I think they need to spend more effort in modifying the park to accommodate the additional guests.

1) improve connectivity, signing and patron flow throughout the park (including reducing the number of "lands" within the park)

2) add more flats and small-scale rides

3) add more shows and small-scale entertainment

get rid of all the dead ends in the park. Mostly with Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Carnival. No reason you should have to make that treck all the way around to go from "land" to "land"

There is a shortcut that connects them but not that many people seem to know about it or use it.

Do share this because I have not come across this

When you're walking into the Golden Kingdom, on the right there is safari discoveries (i think that's what it's called) and if you walk into there and make a right there is a pathway that leads to the entrance of Plaza del Carnaval. There's also animals in there that you can look at and I only ever see a few people in there.

When you're walking into the Golden Kingdom, on the right there is safari discoveries (i think that's what it's called) and if you walk into there and make a right there is a pathway that leads to the entrance of Plaza del Carnaval. There's also animals in there that you can look at and I only ever see a few people in there.

The park map sure doesn't clearly indicate this pathway. I'm definitely going to try it next time. Do you have to enter and exit a building to access the pathway?

It is a good short cut. The only problem is it isn't always open and on days it is open, it closes by 6. There is a gazebo looking building near the candy store at the Golden Kingdom Outpost to enter from that side of the park. In the Golden Kingdom you enter at the theater entrance and go to the right.

Crowd control in the park is pretty poor, which is especially bad since GADV is the most crowded of the local parks and becomes more crowded more often every passing year. One major problem is the poor traffic flow and poor walkway layouts in the park.

yeah - we cut through there on the last trip - you end up going through the gift shop

• 1 month later...

I know exactly the path you are speaking of. it must be clos3ed every trip I go because I'm never able to access it.

As far as raising season pass prices, I don't think the over all quality of the park makes it worth paying more than the current season pass price. Cedar Point can charge 3x as much because, well, its self explanatory. You cant compare GA to Cedar Point

I think the lakefront is a totally wasted space that could provide the opportunity for people to hang out and cool off if there was something there to watch or see. I'm not even sure if there are many benches along that path to just sit and watch the water,

I thought there were original plans for a riverboat around the lake? They should really do something like that or at least add benches like Doug said, or even picnic tables.

I didn't hear about the riverboat - it would be a great idea. I always enjoyed the boat ride at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

• 1 month later...