VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney World / Cruise Combo

jdc12192

Taking a shot in the dark here, but has anyone done a cruise(3-4 day) and Disney World(3-4 days before or after cruise) Vacation to total out a ~week ?

My friends and I have brought up the idea of doing both vacations and are pretty indecisive which we would want, so i brought up the idea of both.

I know Disney themselves offers 'land and sea' vacations, but Disney cruise line is out of the question as their prices are way too much. Probably would do a short Royal, or Norwegian cruise instead.

Any advice anyone has would be helpful.

I personally think trying to squeeze both trips into one week is a bit much. I love to cruise and it is my number one option of vacation when ever planning one. Myself, personally do not think 3/4 days is long enough for a cruise. By the time you board and get settled in you will be disembarking. Same goes for DW. I don't think 3/4 days enough to get through it all.

I vote to choose on or the other not both. Choose a week (7 day cruise) and save a week vaction to Disney for another vacation or the other way around.

But also to keep in mind, what are you looking to get out of your trip? Relaxing or running around? I see you are from NJ so you have a number of cruise option that leave Cape Liberty or across the river in NYC. Not sure how close to either your are.

Edited by Mrpq

I personally think trying to squeeze both trips into one week is a bit much. I love to cruise and it is my number one option of vacation when ever planning one. Myself, personally do not think 3/4 days is long enough for a cruise. By the time you board and get settled in you will be disembarking. Same goes for DW. I don't think 3/4 days enough to get through it all.

I vote to choose on or the other not both. Choose a week (7 day cruise) and save a week vaction to Disney for another vacation or the other way around.

But also to keep in mind, what are you looking to get out of your trip? Relaxing or running around? I see you are from NJ so you have a number of cruise option that leave Cape Liberty or across the river in NYC. Not sure how close to either your are.

I somewhat agree on the length of cruise. Ive only been on a 5 day one out of cape liberty, and that seemed like a good length but anything shorter would seem pretty fast and not enough time to even explore the ship.

I personally have been trying to push a cruise, only because its been longer time without one compared to disney, but have to push a little more because some friends are nervous about the idea in general and are afraid they will be sick and whatnot.

Im not too far from Gadv so Cape liberty and NYC is not too far at all. The only reason why I might not consider those areas to leave is because we probably will be going in fall-winter so i might wanna leave from a warmer climate. Have to see what our options are though.

Yeah, leaving Tristate area time of year is something to take into account when taking a cruise. Leaving NYC I usually leave in July. Last year we went the last week of July into Aug to Bermuda and it was great. I have also left NYC and gone up north in October for the Canada cruises which are really nice. You can hit Boston and Portland, very pretty with the leaves changing. Try to avoid Aug for the sake of Hurricanes. if none of your friends have been on a cruise and their first one gets hit with a storm they will never cruise again lmao. The good thing about leaving from here is no flying.

If you are willing to fly south you get more island options and a bigger window of better cruising weather.

Carnival cruises are also very good and cheap. I recently went on the Norwegian Breakaway out of New York City and had a great time. The only downfall was that it snowed two nights before which meant on the first day the upper decks had ice and sleet. But Carnivals are the real deal for cruises in my opinion. In 2013 I did a week in Florida (Magic Kingdom, IOA and Universal Studios) and the following week a 5 day Carnival at the end of August. It worked out okay.

I wouldn't suggest doing a 3-night cruise. It is over way too fast - it is like life boat drill, blink, get off our ship. It is almost like a tease. We went on the Disney Magic for the millennium (NYE 1999/2000) and were offered a future 3 night cruise on the Disney Wonder for $99 for the entire cruise back when Disney did special things like that. It was nice but very fast.

At minimum I'd go with a 4 nighter. Royal Caribbean offers a cruise from NJ on the Anthem of the Seas to Bermuda. That was a lot of fun and no airfare was needed.

If you do a WDW/Sea combo I'd suggest doing the parks followed by the cruise portion. Not only is it really nice walking around the park knowing you have a cruise in a few days but you also get the go nuts in the parks and then crash on the ship and relax.

We did this package deal for our honeymoon, but it was 30 years ago! The wife wanted a cruise and I wanted to go to Disney World, where I had not been yet, so we compromised. This was back before Disney owned the cruise line - I think it was Premier back then.

Overall it was a good deal, although for a honeymoon there were too many kids on board the ship for our liking. Also, the boat was not all that luxurious and the cabin was very small. But that was a long time ago and the ships have improved dramatically.

I believe Permier has Disney themes on the cruise line and that inspired the Disney cruise ships. I'm not 100% sure though.

You are 100% correct. I know because I was on the Big Red Boat back in 1992. They had to cruise to Nassau Island as Disneys cruise and than we went to Walt Disney World

F_Disney_Club_News_Summer_1990BRB-thumb.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestblog/2017/02/ready_the_big_red_boat_1.html