VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Why doesn't Safari Off Road Adventure have an accreditation from the AZA

Makaio

I've never heard of AZA, but I found this on their website:

What percentage of zoos and aquariums are accredited by AZA?

Of the approximately 2,800 animal exhibitors licensed by the USDA across the country, less than 10% are AZA-accredited.

So.. there's over 2,520 other exhibitors that are not accredited. It shouldn't be that shocking that 1 location is in the 90%+ group.

Also, it looks like SF has to be a member of AZA (and pay yearly dues) in order to be accredited. So it's pay-for-accreditation.

Edited by Matt Kaiser

I've never heard of AZA, but I found this on their website:

So.. there's over 2,520 other exhibitors that are not accredited. It shouldn't be that shocking that 1 location is in the 90%+ group.

Also, it looks like SF has to be a member of AZA (and pay yearly dues) in order to be accredited. So it's pay-for-accreditation.

It's probably also why many zoos aren't part of the AZA; they probably don't want to pay for it. I'm not sure if Six Flags would pay for such memberships for Great Adventure and Discovery Kingdom. Disney's Animal Kingdom is accredited by the AZA.

It's probably also why many zoos aren't part of the AZA; they probably don't want to pay for it. I'm not sure if Six Flags would pay for such memberships for Great Adventure and Discovery Kingdom. Disney's Animal Kingdom is accredited by the AZA.

if it doesn't improve the bottom line, I can't see them doing it unless it is required

• 3 years later...

They do have an accreditation and Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari is Accredited by the Zoological Association of America,Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums and Humane Certified by American Humane meaning that they demonstrate the highest level of professional standards in animal welfare, safety, and ethics for the animals in their care. This includes Elephants, Sea Lions, Rhinos, Lions, giraffes, tigers and many other exotic wildlife species.