VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Trip 3, 4, and 5- June 2017

Louisatsweetlou

Hi all, I have multiple trip reports but I am going to put them all into one subject so I don't spam the forum

So on June 23rd we made a last minute decision to head on down to six flags for the day. It was my sister and my friend and we went to the park early (11) and went home early (4) as well. Our first mission was to save Metropolis as none of us had been on the ride yet. The line started inside in the second room and only took about 10 minutes to get on the ride. I think that this ride was a fantastic addition to the park, however I cannot see myself always going all the way around MovieTown to ride it. I assume next years addition (probably flat rides) will take up some of the other vacant land around the ride. With the Showcase theater exterior redone I would like to see a magic show in there like we did in 2015 with Brad Ross. Then they could open the other entrance to the area and it will be a great place to hang out. After Justice League we went to the dark knight and waited one cycle to get through the pre-show. I continued to memorize the show, I currently know all of Harvey Dent's lines haha. People think I am totally crazy as i recite it. Then we headed to nitro and rode it, finding it a little bit bumpier than it used to be but then again it used to be glass smooth so there's only one way to go after that. We then headed across the park to El Toro and waited a few switchbacks but ended up being only about 10 minutes long. kudos to the El Toro crew. We headed over to Bizarro where there is never a wait, and even so the ride operators were MOVING- the person at the board was saying- this train is leaving in 20 seconds, the air gates are closing in three seconds; and he meant it- it felt like a race getting through the operations haha. We actually only waited on the second break run for like 15 seconds- they were waiting for the previous train to go over the mid-course break run. that is INSANELY FAST.

Then we went to the Mine Train leaving me with more sores than I wanted to have and took a break at the Best of the West to eat a later lunch- I had my bacon cheeseburger- the only place in the park that I know of that this isn't an extra item. The food was good and it was a nice calm out of the brutal heat to sit on the back porch along the lake. For our last ride of the day we went on Nitro and it felt a lot smoother than before even though we were still sitting in the middle of the train. We left the park that day happily and went home, with me and my sister knowing we would be back a few days later.

Trip totals

Justice league x1

TDK- x1

Nitro- x2

El Toro- x1

Bizarro- x1

Mine Train- x1

Year Total

El toro x 3

Bizarro x 3

Runaway Mine Train x 2

Nitro x 4

Joker x 2

Batman x 1

TDK x 2

Skull Mountain x 1

Justice League x1

Trips: 3 for the year

TRIP NUMBER 4- JUNE 25TH 2017

Today, we went to the park with my entire family- four of us, so it would make a nice day of riding coasters together. Once again we started with the Justice League ride as my parents wanted to try it out, I got a higher score this time placing within 70% of all riders which I'll take. It did break down as were in line and it was annoying to hear the preshow on repeat but its okay. I'm starting to memorize it already. Speaking of memorizing, I know the whole press conference part, including the questioners and the introduction of it. "I'll be brief". Then we went to batman which was in the tunnel. There were these really annoying girls probably around 13 that were singing really loudly, and REALLY out of key from each other and it made the fifteen minute wait feel like forever. Someone eventually asked them to stop and they did, thank god. Batman was running good, it was the first time I went on this year because lately the lines have been rather long when I get there and the ride doesn't justify it. We then went to nitro which had a staircase wait. Nitro is always a good time and we get some silly photos on it due to its lack of over the shoulder restraints and its not like El Toro where you are getting jerked around. We then crossed the park for El Toro stopping at Johnny Rockets to have lunch. Johnny Rockets was tasty but took a while and El toro had a fifteen minute wait but was VERY intense. Then we went for Bizarro which has no wait like usual followed by heading through Safari Discoveries to look at Kingda Ka's full line and walk down Zumanjaro's empty line. After that we were planning on hitting up the boardwalk lines but the park was simply too excessively crowded for us. We got our Ritas snack (I got two; one for my snack and one for dinner) and gave on to my sister. Then we headed out after dancing along with Bugs Bunny and the crew.

Trip Total

Justice League x1

TDK x1

Batman x1

Nitro- x1

El Toro- x1

Bizarro- x1

Zumanjaro x1

Season Total

El toro x 4

Bizarro x 4

Runaway Mine Train x 2

Nitro x 5

Joker x 2

Batman x 2

TDK x 3

Skull Mountain x 1

Justice League x2

Trips: 4 for the year

TRIP #5: JUNE 30TH, 2017

Trip 5 was for my little cousin's bday. She is 48 inches but got scared too much on her first trip on El Toro so we are going to have to bring her back up to the ride eventually but since it was her birthday we weren't going to do that today. We started at Justice League once again for my little cousins hadn't been on it and the line was outside the show building. This made for a half hour wait, which made you hear the preshow twice. I think I was the only one paying much attention to it however. Then we went to the Dark Knight and found out that if you sit on the right of the car and put your hands up you can touch the tunnel above you- I wasn't trying for it and it scared me when I put my hands up and felt something. Then we ate at Macho Nacho and I had a burrito- it was very tasty. Then my little cousins wanted to ride the kiddie coaster and one of them is a little small so my aunt and uncle asked if I could ride it with him and I agreed, but then the kids went IN THEIR OWN CAR. LEAVING ME ALONE! I felt like such a fool haha. That ride is CRAZY with the turns- fun for the kids, painful for everyone else. Now I know why my mom hated that ride when I was younger. We then rode Congo Rapids twice in a row, the first time only two people got wet. The second time, EVERYONE on the boat left SOAKED. That is exactly what Rapids rides are supposed to do- I love Dorney Park's because you always leave soaked. Then we went to Skull Mountain and enjoyed ourselves on it with a station wait. After that we headed to the Log Flume which had a 10-15 minute wait and was a lot of fun, with everyone getting wet. Then the adults went on El Toro while the kids and their mother went on Tango three times in a row while waiting for us. Then we went to see the giraffe in Safari Discoveries and ended up staying for their show-- I mean presentation-- of the sea lion. It was a nice show but it could have been better and I probably would only go back if someone else wanted to see it. We then ate at Primos Pizza in the Golden Kingdom by the 4 tents. Then we went on Harley Quinn's Crazy Train and waited the longest of the day- probably around 20 minutes but my little cousins wanted to go on it so we stayed- that ride feels a lot faster than 22 MPH and I was holding onto my cousin for fear of him falling out haha. Then we split up and me and my sister went to Nitro (after all what is a trip to SFGAdv without Nitro and El Toro) while everyone else road Justice League again. We rode in the front row and everyone loved the night ride so much that we all started chanting on the break run "ONE MORE RIDE!" over and over again- it honestly sounded like I was at a sporting event where the game was tied and you had people screaming for their lives. And at this point in time, I was not only hearing about the coveted money train, I was RIDING IT. We rode the ride again and loved it even more the second time. When we got into the station the second time we all applauded the ride operator- I wish I knew his name as I would put him in my survey when they ask if an employee went out of their way for us. Anyway, at this point the park was closed so we met up with my everyone and went home. I probably wont be back until late July :(((( but after these three trips I think my coaster need has been fullfilled. My parents are even talking about going to SFNE soon where my favorite ride is, WICKED CYCLONE. Any way hope you all enjoyed my report!

TRIP TOTAL

Justice League- x1

TDK x1

RoadRunner Express- x1

Congo Rapids x2

Skull Mountain- x1

Log Fulme- x1

El Toro- x 1

Harley Quinn- x1

Nitro- x2

Season Total

El toro x 5

Bizarro x 4

Runaway Mine Train x 2

Nitro x 7

Joker x 2

Batman x 2

TDK x 4

Skull Mountain x 2

Justice League x3

RoadRunner Expres- x1

Congo Rapids- x2

Log Flume- x1

Harley Quinn- x1

Trips: 5 for the year

Edited by Louisatsweetlou

Umm, sorry if I sound like a coaster newbie for saying this, but aren't coasters supposed to be tested so you are NOT able to touch anything when your hands are up? I know that Disney does it, but this is slightly concerning, lol. Then again, maybe there's a sign I missed where it tells you not to raise your hands up.

Edited by MidnightCat

Umm, if I sound like a coaster newbie for saying this, but aren't coasters supposed to be tested so you are NOT able to touch anything when your hands are up? I know that Disney does it, but this is slightly concerning, lol. Then again, maybe there's a sign I missed where it tells you not to raise your hands up.

Yes, they test for that. It sounds like it was on the lift hill, so you're not going to get hurt by sudden impact like you would if you were going fast. Also, the safety instructions always say to keep arms inside the car.

• Like 1

To add to that, there are some pictures in the Skull Mountain Spotlight here: http://greatadventurehistory.com/Skull%20Mountain.htm that shows how a wooden frame was used during construction to make sure it was safe.

Nobody would be getting hurt by touching this, the lift hill is too slow; however I was quite shocked when I touched something on a roller coaster.

When I was growing up in the 70's, there was a old wooden coaster at Rye Playland in Westchester County NY that had a real low clearance near the bottom of one of the descent hills. A wood beam above seemed so close you could touch it if your arms were raised. There were all kind of warning signs there saying to keep arms in car.

I found a POV video of the coaster - notice the seat in front of you says REMAIN SEATED.

The Dragon Coaster, Playland Park's iconic attraction, in Rye, New York, is a wooden roller coaster that was opened in 1929. It was designed and built by legendary amusement ride creator Frederick Church, who also was the co-inventor of the Racing Derby, another famous early 20th century amusement park ride. The Dragon Coaster has approximately 3,400 feet of track and is, at its highest, approximately 80 feet tall. There is a tunnel along its span, a common feature of wooden roller coasters from the 1920s, that resembles the body and open mouth of a Dragon. It has also been featured in the film Fatal Attraction, Mariah Carey's music video Fantasy, and Big, starring Tom Hanks. The Dragon Coaster is still in operation to this day.