VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

PTR: June 26, 2017

nbadude44

I meant to post my trip report a few days ago, but I've been busy with other matters. My mother and I left our house in Long Island at about 7:45 AM but we didn't actually get to the park until around noon because of the insane NYC traffic. As soon as we entered, we headed straight to the new Justice League ride. Unfortunately, I expected the old entrance to the former Old Country area to be opened up since it leads right to the new ride, but it was not. So we walked the longer way to the ride from Movietown and waited about 20 minutes for the ride, but there was so much going on in the queue (i.e. the Cyborg animatronic) that it felt faster than it actually was. I even ended up getting the high score out of everyone in our car!

After that, we had some lunch then headed for Nitro, which was a 25 minute wait with three trains running. After another ride on Nitro, we rode Swashbuckler (which has a new sign) and The Joker. Next, we headed towards the Big Wheel, which only had an approx. 15 minute wait. After a quick snack, my mother decided to rest in the car, while I headed toward the other side of the park. I ended up riding Bizarro (which had a 15 minute wait), El Toro (a 20 minute wait), and El Diablo (5 minutes). I didn't feel like going on Ka or Zumanjaro because I heard from someone else that it was an hour wait for both. I finished off the day with a walk-on Twister, the Parachutes (which had 3/4 of the sides open) and the Green Lantern, which now had a painted-on version of Paralax before the yellow loop instead of the 3D sign that was removed a few years ago. We left the park around 6:00 and ate dinner at Dairy Queen, since they don't exist near where I live.

Overall, it was a successful day and I was able to ride plenty of rides for a summer day, including the new ride. 5 out of 6 Flags.

Pictures will be posted later.

Can someone explain why the path by the Picnic Grove is closed, except when there are picnics going on? Is there some sneaky nefarious reason the park wants visitors to walk all the way around Movie Town to get to Justice League? It really irritates me, because the park already has poor circulation with crappy dead ends all over the place, and now they just added to their customer's inconvenience. Ugh.

I think they have multiple reasons, some of which are the same reasons why the path between Ka and El Toro is closed, and why they won't tear down the unused building blocking the path between the carousel and the four tents.

1) There's nothing along the path. Just a long fence, a few plants, and old, unused buildings. It would be very... Six Flags of them to just open a long empty pathway.

2) Stemming off the previous reason, they want to route everyone through something that will draw in customers and make money. Taking the long way, you pass a carnival game, an entire arcade, two gift shops, several restaurants, and several food stands.

3) Being so long and desolate, it would have to be another area that a security guard has to actively patrol and an employee would have to keep it clean/empty garbages. With no money being made on this path, it's literally losing them money having it open.

4) They made the Metropolis Narrows Bridge the main entrance to the area, so I'm sure they want people to actually use it.

5) Maybe they have plans for the path in 2018. I'm hopeful. lol

*) Sidenote, I'm sure they would rather not open it at all. They only open it because catering groups often get lost trying to find it. They're frequently groups of kids, and they don't want any of them to miss their meal time.

That being said, they did open the path last night once the fireworks started so that everyone could quickly walk over to the Lakefront instead of taking the long way around.

• Like 1

Oak Island Creative (outside creative company) handles pretty much everything about HITP theming, lighting, and show-wise. I assume they probably said "we have this idea for this pathway, and we want to do this, this, and this" and Great Adventure probably goes along with what their vision is. (As long as it's reasonable) It's also a different dynamic for HITP, since half the park isn't open. It makes more sense to open up more room on that side of the park. They have more security and employees to cover the area, and the Showcase Theatre show is probably the most popular attraction during the event.