VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rye Playland Operated by Standard Amusements

dougdrummer

Playland was my home amusement park as I only lived about 20 miles from it in Westchester County NY where I grew up. It was built and operated as a County park since the 1920's. But I just noticed an article where last year the park was handed over to Standard Amusements. I couldn't find any info on the other two parks that they currently manage.

In March 2016, the Westchester County Board of Legislators voted 13-4 to give control of the park to a management company called Standard Amusements. Standard Amusements agreed to invest $27.5 million into the park, which it will manage for 30 years. Standard Amusements is an entity owned by a larger corporation, United Parks, which manages two additional parks across the United States. Westchester County maintains ownership of the park, and will receive 8% of the park's profits after Standard Amusements recoups its initial investment. This will increase to 10% after 10 years, and 12% after 21 years.

Standard Amusement’s investment will go toward revitalizing Playland with new rides and attractions, as well as upgrading food and beverage choices, picnic areas, and restaurants and renovating grounds and buildings. The arrival of new rides and attractions, including Windstarz, Revolution 32, and Unicoaster, are scheduled for 2019 with more to follow in subsequent seasons, county officials state.

Interesting, I haven't seen this talked about anywhere at all.

Is $27.5 million the entirety of what they're putting into the park over the next 30 years? Or just an initial investment during the first number of years? Doesn't seem like enough to me if they want to keep growing over the next 30 years. I think it's just enough to stay alive, though. 30 years is a long time to upkeep buildings, existing rides, and infrastructure.

Interesting, I haven't seen this talked about anywhere at all.

Is $27.5 million the entirety of what they're putting into the park over the next 30 years? Or just an initial investment during the first number of years? Doesn't seem like enough to me if they want to keep growing over the next 30 years. I think it's just enough to stay alive, though. 30 years is a long time to upkeep buildings, existing rides, and infrastructure.

IIRC, the County was also putting up a similar investment amount to match. Interesting that the County will get 8% of the profits once Standard recoups their investment. Does that mean there is no set timeline for this? That seems odd - what if they never recoup their investment? And how do you even define recouping their investment?

I'd like to see them get a new coaster eventually. I haven't really considered going to the park because of how limited it is with the coasters. 2 kiddie coasters, a flying coaster with a bad reputation, a wooden coaster and a wild mouse coaster that I might be too tall to ride. The maximum height limit was 6 feet, I'm not sure if it was removed or not since it is not mentioned on the website.

I'd like to see them get a new coaster eventually. I haven't really considered going to the park because of how limited it is with the coasters. 2 kiddie coasters, a flying coaster with a bad reputation, a wooden coaster and a wild mouse coaster that I might be too tall to ride. The maximum height limit was 6 feet, I'm not sure if it was removed or not since it is not mentioned on the website.

I haven't been there in at least 20 years. It is unique in that it is located right on the Sound, but it was never more than really a carnival-type attraction to me as a kid. Our scout troop participated in some type of camporee on their property back in the mid-70s, so I got to check the place out extensively. I think I might have gone once when our kids were little in the mid-90's, but it seemed to be in disrepair at that time.