VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

SFGadv 7/10

dougdrummer

We decided at the last minute to take a quick trip to the park this morning. The weather was overcast, which kept the temps down until midday, when the sun started making it pretty hot. We expected the park to be more crowded, but it was not. We guessed that this was the Monday morning after a holiday week when so many were on vacation, so it was back to work week for most. There were a few large summer camp groups there, but overall not too many people. Again it took longer than it should to get through the parking toll booths, because there were so many people paying for parking, and they only had 7 of the 12 lanes open (go figure). Also, we noticed that people who buy day passes don't know the park, and they can end end up spending several minutes asking the attendant questions. This is very frustrating - the park should open up 1-2 lanes dedicated to season pass members. I can only imagine how much money the park loses with all those customers sitting in traffic and not spending cash inside the park.

We got there a few minutes after opening, and of course I had to go right to Nitro, my favorite coaster ever. There was no line - I got right on the train. Spectacular and silky smooth as always. As a civil engineer, this structure continues to blow me away. Then we went to Metro Cafe because my wife was hungry and got our sandwich meals. There was a problem with our cards because the system was saying we didn't scan at the front gate (which obviously we did). We eventually had to go to GA Cafe to get it resolved, but Metro gave us our food anyway.

Went to Justice League next, and there was virtually no line. We were in our car within 5 minutes, although I had to sit in the front and she in the back of the vehicle. This was our second time on the ride (first time being opening day), so being more familiar with the ride, I thought it was that much better. I scored 82,700 which was high score for the car. Although it didn't show a pic of me on the screen at the end. It is still sometimes confusing when several people in your vehicle are shooting at the same object, because you can't tell which one is your beam. It is somewhat depressing to think that such an awesome attraction is sitting in this backside part of the park all by itself. While the path from the front of the park to the picnic grove was open, the gate connecting to JL was closed. I don't know which is worse, having the Showcase Theater or the Stunt Show Theater sitting there basically abandoned and collecting dust. Ugh,

As others have mentioned here, the Batmobile is back, and shinier than ever!

I rode Harley Quinn, as there was no line to get on. I want this coaster for my backyard - I think it's just big enough to accommodate it. What does one cost? LOL

We rode the Log Flume, but it is showing its age. I noticed many of the flume section joints have been patched with fiberglass pieces that aren't the same color, so it takes away from the aesthetics. A big heavy man and his two little kids sat in the front, and my wife and I sat in the back of the flume car. It was not comfortable at all. We were barely able to squeeze in width and length-wise. Because of the weight in our vehicle, we got splashed pretty badly. I was hoping my phone wouldn't get soaked! And can someone explain to me why the lift section is so damn harsh? I felt like I needed a chiropractor after that ride. LOL

Next we cut over to the sea lion show. We saw it back in April when the park first opened, and hoped this time the show would be better/longer. Nope! Same boring 9-minute show, which to me is a waste of that whole facility. No need to go back to that show this year.

After that we got ice cream, and then left about 2 pm.

Overall it was a good trip considering we only spent a little over 3 hours there. That's what is good about having season passes, food plans, and living only 30 minutes away!

So not too much to report, but I figured I'd post the lowdown anyway.

It was my mom's birthday yesterday, I was hoping we could have had a late lunch on Saturday, but she wasn't up for it. Charles (Coaster Fanatic on YouTube) was there and was hoping to see him :sad:

any rides on KK? if so do you still have all your teeth? lol

I have yet to get up the courage to ride KK. Now that I think about it, I don't think I saw it running yesterday. Nor was the really tall rotating swing ride. I'm not sure what time Congo Rapids opens up, but it wasn't running at 11:15 am when I got off Nitro.

If you are going to consider riding Kingda Ka, I think the best time to try it is when there is no line so you don't have time to think about it. I worked my way up to the coaster, trying slower launched coasters like Storm Runner first and even then, after my first ride, I had to sit down for a few minutes because of how fast the launch on Kingda Ka is. Now I am used to it and it doesn't bother me.

I think Comgo Rapids are open 12 - 8 (and maybe the same for Saw Mill Log Flume as well?)

If you are going to consider riding Kingda Ka, I think the best time to try it is when there is no line so you don't have time to think about it. I worked my way up to the coaster, trying slower launched coasters like Storm Runner first and even then, after my first ride, I had to sit down for a few minutes because of how fast the launch on Kingda Ka is. Now I am used to it and it doesn't bother me.

I think Comgo Rapids are open 12 - 8 (and maybe the same for Saw Mill Log Flume as well?)

I thought I saw the log flume open earlier than noon, but I can't be sure.

I have yet to get up the courage to ride KK.

I'm in the same boat but I use my wife as my excuse. One time she said "None of you are riding KK. It doesn't look safe" Cant upset the wife you know. The truth is I'm intimidated by it. I know its safe. Its been running long enough to prove that. I don think its the launch but the height. That and the fact that I'm over 230 points now. Again, I know its safe but I picture being to heavy for the restraints and not coming back with the train.

I did so Storm Chaser at Hershey. It has the launch and a much smaller hill but I didn't hesitate to try that one.

Now what made me look pathetic was my trip on Thursday 7/6 KK was practically a walk on. I sent 3 12 year old girls on the ride. They were never on it before and they went then went again when there was nobody in the queue for their seats.

coming from someone who loves KK and TTD, the worst part of KK is now the incredibly rough ride. It was my first ride I went on my last visit to the park and it shook soooo bad I had a head ache that stayed with me the rest of the day. The height wont phase you as you are up there for such a short period of time. Drop of Doom, now that's a ride that bothers me. I will do any coaster with out thinking twice but drop rides make my palms sweat

One of the best rides I've ever had on Ka was when my friend and I wore goggles to be funny. It actually really improved the ride by allowing me to have my eyes fully open the entire time. (as opposed to having to squint in the wind and mist)

Edited by Matt Kaiser
  • Like 1

Last week I was trying to convince the wife to ride Nitro with me, to no avail. After I rode it, we walked over to JL, and on the way, I noticed a train was stuck about halfway up the climb hill. It was there for a pretty good period of time. If my wife was on that train, she would have freaked and I would be looking for a divorce lawyer by now. LOL

Eh I don't know. If its usually only the two of you going to a park I can see the issue, but if you are in a group of people and she isn't the only one who doesn't ride coasters than it can still work. Plus she can hold the loose articles lol

Trust me, there are worse deal breakers out there.

I mean if my wife didn't like coasters, I don't think the trip to cedar Point would have happened but even she said when she was there if we had a big group there is plenty of other things for non coaster lovers to do.