VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Tron Lightcycle to replace Tomorrowland Speedway at Magic Kingdom?

dougdrummer

I searched but could not find this rumor on the forums:

Tron Lightcycle Power Run is the glowing cycle-themed coaster that opened to rave reviews in China last year. WDW News Today is hearing that it will be replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway, one of iconic park's remaining original attractions.

It's a move that makes sense. Steering gas-powered hotrods over 2,000 feet of motorway track feels out of place in Tomorrowland. Tron's glowing cycles speeding overhead is a far better depiction of what even a retro look into the future that Tomorrowland promises should be.

Disney hasn't officially confirmed the chatter, but that may come as soon as this weekend when it hosts its annual D23 conference. It was during D23 two summers ago that Disney peeled back the curtain on Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. It's widely expected that Disney will announce some of its plans for the already promised Epcot makeover. Introducing Tron Lightcycle Power Run into the Magic Kingdom's arsenal would be the cherry on top.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/11/disney-worlds-top-park-may-play-the-tron-card.aspx

Scream scape said that rumor is just that a rumor.

" ...Disney may have backed off in the idea of closing down the Tomorrowland Speedway for the coaster. Instead rumor has it they may remove the Cast Member parking lot located in the empty lot between Carousel of Progress and the exit of Buzz Lightyear, which was the former home to the Galaxy Palace Theater many years ago..."

I hope the Tomorrowland Speedway stays. I don't like taking out tame rides that almost anyone can ride for thrill rides at Disney Parks because that is one thing that made Disney different. If they are going to add the coaster and not take out any rides, that would be good.

I think Tomorrowland Speedway is honestly showing its age. In my opinion I think a good update is needed. Maybe not a total retheme but, something needs to be done.

I think Tomorrowland Speedway is honestly showing its age. In my opinion I think a good update is needed. Maybe not a total retheme but, something needs to be done.

You can't really argue with the logic that driving cars of the past in Tomorrowland doesn't make sense.