VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hersheypark, 9/16/17

Yoshi

Normally I don't like to go to parks on a Saturday but looking at the wait times on the park's app before leaving, they didn't look too bad. The lot was really crowded because of the RV show taking place at the same time. I went to the season pass office to renew my pass for next year, this year the early pricing is $145. They already had next year's coupons books as well.

Comet was first with about a 10 minute wait. The employee at the merge point was keeping the station ramp mostly empty which caused the station to not be that full and I was able to get a front row ride without any extra wait. Comet is my favorite wooden coaster at the park and I think the smoothest. If the trim brake on the 2nd turn around wasn't used, the 2nd half of the coaster would even be better.

Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge had no line using the single rider line. It's ok but I'm sure Justice League is better (hopefully I will finally get back to Great Adventure sometime in the next few weeks to find out how good Justice League is).

sooperdooperlooper had a long line so I thought I would go back to it later. Great Bear's line was bad too and I went to Coal Cracker instead. The drop with the bump is good and the boats skip along the water after that, where you get hit with some water.

The Kisses Triple Tower was closed. Hershey had around a 15 minute wait, Reese's had a 1 cycle wait so I went with the Reese's Tower. The air time is really better than a Space Shot. One thing I didn't realize until recently was that the Double Shot at Playland's Castaway Cove in Ocean City gives you 2 full cycles. That was previously the only Double Shot I had tried and thought that was the standard ride cycle, and didn't understand why the Kisses and Reese's tower only give one full launch and now see that is what a standard Double Shot ride is.

Trailblazer had around a 4 train wait, it's ok and not worth waiting that much time for but when walking by, it's worth a quick lap.

Storm Runner was around 20 minutes, great as always with the forceful launch and some unique inversions. I just wish the ride had another 500 - 1000 feet of track with a few more elements.

I skipped Sidewinder because even with the new restraints, I still don't like boomerangs that much. I'll probably ride the coaster during Christmas Candylane now that it has been added to the list of open rides.

Frontier Flyers had a half full queue. It's not worth the wait when they have these pieces of foam or rubber that don't allow the rudder to turn that far and make snapping almost impossible.

Tidal Force was open and had mostly full boats going out with it being around 85 degrees out.

Wildcat had a 2 train wait. 2 trains were running with 2 middle rows closed off. It was running ok, not as bad as I have seen in past visits although still the roughest wooden coaster in the park. Even though it's the first GCI and has a good layout, I wouldn't mind seeing the coaster converted to a RMC. From Wildcat's lift hill, you can see the new water slides parts.

Laff Trakk had it's normal hour line. Even when the park is empty it still seems to always have a 45+ minute line. I skipped the Whip because the concrete floor makes the ride too rough compared to the smooth metal floor that Knoebels' and Dorney's whips have. Fahrenheit was also skipped because of the line.

Lightning Racer had 2 trains running on each side with no wait. It's a lot of fun racing the other train with the finish line at the end and lights in the station indicating which train won.

Wild Mouse was around 10 minutes. It's fun but not as good as The Dark Knight.

I went back to Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge and Comet again and then to sooperdooperlooper. This time the line was just out of the station and after 2 trains were dispatched, an announcement was made that there would be a short delay. Both trains were cycled empty and I later saw one was on the final brakes, the other stopped on the lift hill while something was being worked on or checked in the station, possibly the chain lift that is in the station. After 10 minutes of waiting, I left.

Coal Cracker looked like it was closed to the night and Great Bear had a much shorter wait, this time just out of the station. After 2 rides in middle rows, I went back to the Reese's Tower with no wait and then Skyrush with a 2 train wait. I still feel the same way about Skyrush, it's good but my least favorite hyper.

sooperdooperlooper had reopened with an empty station. After getting a front row ride and walking around for a back row ride, I stayed on the train for 2 more rides.

The park was almost closed at this point and felt like I had gotten enough rides in and decided to leave. I hope to be back once or twice next month for Hersheypark in the Dark.

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

The Claw was repainted green this year.

IMG_3046.JPG

Comet rarely has such a short line.

Nice report seems like you made a good call by going to the park even though it was a sat.  I agree with all your comments about Wildcat and Comet.  I still say Wildcat during Candy Lane is like a different ride vs riding it in the summer.  its so much smoother in the cold weather.  I wish Comet was open for the winter event as well.

Laff Trax, I cant understand why the ride is ALWAYS so long.  The last time I went in July on a Friday was the shortest line I have waited.  The outside line was till 3/4 full at that point.  I just don't know why it takes so long, is it that popular?  I cant say its because of dispatch because they seem to be on the ball with that.

Side note, I see you plan to go the Halloween event.  How is that?   Also, have you done Candy Lane yet since they started running coasters?

Comet open would be great, I would have rather seen it open over Sidewinder.

I think Laff Trakk gets a long line because it's still new and the only 42" minimum height requirement coaster on that side of the park so it gets everyone that can't ride Wildcat, Lightning Racer, Wild Mouse and Fahrenheit.

Their Halloween event is fun as long as you don't mind that there are no mazes, haunted houses or scare zones. The whole park is decorated, there are a few shows and trick or treating for kids. Other than that the park is just like the rest of the year with everything open except the water park and Tidal Force. Crowds are really low on Sunday's too even if the weather is nice (this year the last Sunday might be more crowded since it is season pass holder appreciation day). I haven't been to Candy Lane since 2007.