VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hersheypark In The Dark, 10/22/17

Yoshi

I was considering going to Dorney today and back to Hersheypark next weekend but possible rain and a season pass holder event next Sunday made me reconsider and went back today for the 2nd week in a row.

It was slightly more crowded than last Sunday although crowds were still very low.

Like last week I'm just going to list the rides I went to with a few other comments.

Comet, 10 minute wait for the front. 2 trains running.

sooperdooperlooper, station wait, 2 trains running, 2 rides

SkyRush, 1 train wait, 2 trains running

Comet, 10 minute wait again

Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge, 5 minute wait. Single rider line was closed (even though it doesn't require an extra ride operator to run the line).

Hershey and Reese's Tower, 1 cycle wait. Kisses Tower was closed.

Great Bear, 3 train wait for the front, 1 train wait for other rows. 3 rides.

Coal Cracker was closed again. Someone asked the photo booth employee at Great Bear about the ride being open and was told the ride doesn't operate in the fall. It's on the Hersheypark In the Dark map and is listed as an operating ride for the event on the website plus it ran last year in October. It was disappointing to have the ride closed two weeks in a row.

Trailblazer, 1 train wait for the front row.

Storm Runner only had 1 train running with a line out of the station. It was around 25 minutes and ended up being the longest wait of the day.

Sidewinder, no wait. I haven't ridden Sidewinder this year and only rode twice last year. Since it's going to be open for Christmas Candylane I wanted to try the coaster again which turned out to be a mistake. Going backwards caused a bad headache and I didn't feel great on and off for the rest of the trip to the park. I don't know if I am ever going to want to ride another boomerang again, even if it's a new credit.

Frontier Flyers, 1 cycle wait.

Lightning Racer, 1 train running on each side. 1 train wait for Thunder, 3 train wait for Lightning. The front row line for Lightning wasn't any longer than the other rows and it's always fun to get the front row but you lose some of the racing effect in the front row since it's more difficult to see where the other train is if the train you are riding in is winning most of the circuit.

Wild Mouse, 5 minute wait. 5 out of 10 cars running.

Wildcat, 1 train wait for the front row. 2 trains running with all rows open.

Wild Mouse again with basically no wait.

Fahrenheit, 2 trains running, 2 train wait. The cobra roll was a little rougher this week.

Reese's Extreme Cup Challenge, almost no wait.

Comet, station wait.

sooperdooperlooper, 1 train wait.

I wanted to go back to Great Bear and Storm Runner especially because the app was showing no wait for Storm Runner but I was starting to feel like I had ridden enough coasters for the day and was getting a headache again, maybe still because of Sidewinder and knowing I had an almost 2 hour drive home, decided to go back to Comet and then leave and even though I didn't get as many rides in as last week, 24 rides was still good.

I went on Saturday, and while the park was crowded, it wasn't crowded where you can't do much. Crowds were a bit rowdy though.The longest line when I went was Laff Track which had a full queue, but I didn't wait for it because the theming effects were off. Longest line I did wait for was Fahrenheit and Great Bear, both had a half hour line. Also, when I rode Comet, some old guy operating the ride got mad at me for enjoying it which I find stupid.

17 hours ago, Yoshi said:

I wonder if that was the same guy at Comet last week who had a water gun and was shooting at riders as the train left the station.

Was he doing it to cool riders from warm temperatures?

wait side winder is now open for candy lane?!  Thats great they are adding another coaster  Still which they would open lightning racers.  id even say close Wildcat if I had to choose one over the other

Edited by Mrpq

I went for my first time on Saturday.  Very good park.  While it was crowded I was able to get on everything except Trailblazer, Cocoa Cruiser and Laff Trakk.  I hope to visit again soon.

8 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Yeah, they added it to the ride lineup a few months ago. I would also like to see Lightning Racer open.

It doesn't make sense why they'd open Wildcat for Candy Lane but not Lightning Racer especially if GCI built all three of them. They should also open Great Bear for Candy Lane because it's a B&M and Great Adventure runs four B&Ms during Holiday in the Park.  

I think it might be more of a winter maintenance thing.  Like they wouldn't have enough time/man power to work on all the trains between candy lane and the opening of the park. They jump on what's closed for the season now and then work on what's still running later.  Two years ago when I first went to Candy lane was the first year they had coasters open and Wildcat only had 1 train.  I asked a ride op the reason for 1 train and they said the other train was getting the winter maintenance started.  One train operation was pretty brutal as far as waiting.

Id like to see Great Bear, Comet and Lightning Racers open.  They are all in areas of the park that are open for the event, but at that point it be like a fully operational park besides the Intamin coasters 

7 hours ago, Mrpq said:

I think it might be more of a winter maintenance thing.  Like they wouldn't have enough time/man power to work on all the trains between candy lane and the opening of the park. They jump on what's closed for the season now and then work on what's still running later.  Two years ago when I first went to Candy lane was the first year they had coasters open and Wildcat only had 1 train.  I asked a ride op the reason for 1 train and they said the other train was getting the winter maintenance started.  One train operation was pretty brutal as far as waiting.

Id like to see Great Bear, Comet and Lightning Racers open.  They are all in areas of the park that are open for the event, but at that point it be like a fully operational park besides the Intamin coasters 

Same reason why Superman and Green Lantern run only one train and nitro runs 2 for Holiday in the Park because of winter maintenance. Luckily Great Adventure does a good job dispatching trains regardless of how many trains are available. Hersheypark can be slow with operations. I do agree with seeing Great Bear, Lightning Racer, and Comet running during Candy Lane but they're probably not open because of maintenance or staffing. Unfortunately, the Intamins aren't able to run in the colder weather so I doubt they'll run; same reason why El Toro and Kingda Ka aren't open for HITP.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:20 PM, Yoshi said:

I wonder if that was the same guy at Comet last week who had a water gun and was shooting at riders as the train left the station.

I think back in the Spring, there was a guy doing that on Trailbrazer. 

Sadly, GADV does not always dispatch trains fast, last time I rode Bizarro they were double stacking badly. 

I feel like Bizarro runs better with only 2 trains since there is less time sitting on the brake run outside the station. It seems like it's almost impossible not stack at all with only 2 people checking the restraints.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 7:29 PM, Yoshi said:

I feel like Bizarro runs better with only 2 trains since there is less time sitting on the brake run outside the station. It seems like it's almost impossible not stack at all with only 2 people checking the restraints.

But Nitro runs all three trains and rarely stacks; the only time they do is when they want to fit in a larger rider. I guess the stacking has to do with the restraints and whoever in working.