VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Park July 18 2018

The Master

This was my third trip to Dorney for this year and things went better than my last trip. Still the park is not what it used to be. Got in around 3, after finding some loungers decided to do the log flume first before going on slides. The flume was very slow dispatching and the line was long and slow moving, only rode it once, and it was my first ride on it this season. While walking back to the waterpark, I saw Dorney was not running there Ceder Creek Canonball Train, they had it parked in the back across from Thunder Canyon, guess more cost cutting, would not be surprised to see that train removed soon. Returned to the waterpark and both rivers were uncrowded which surprised me. Both of Dorney's rivers are very nice, and the Wildwater River is unusually wide. As Yoshi mentioned last week, the waterfalls were still off from his last visit in the Runaway River. Didn't do to well on the slides but still got on more than on my last visit there. Bunch of people kept cutting in line at Cascade, which is one of the lamer slides at WWK. I complained about it to the lifeguard who didn't understand English well enough to understand what I was saying. I think she was Swedish. At least I was able to get on all the slides I like to do but only once or twice each. The highpoint was going on Aquablast 4 times with no wait at closing time. Only managed the 4th time because the lifeguards did not know the current time and had to ask me. Aquablast had 6 rafts in service and 10 out of service on the side half deflated. The rear change houses by the old wave pool did not have hot water like normal, and I had to go to the forward change house by the new wave pool which had working hot water and thankfully no lines. The old wave pool bathrooms were very dirty, the ones by the new wave pool were fairly clean, the change booths at both locations were pigstyes. 

The clientele at Dorney is getting weird. Over half the other guests were not speaking in English, and Arabic was what I heard being spoken the most. The park had a lot of security walking around. There were a lot of camp groups there from the Bronx and North Jersey, so much for Dorney being a Philly park. Had to wait in a long line to get a reentry stamp exiting the park. After returning back to the dry park I did not fair too well. Walked all the way over to Steel Force just as it broke down. The Ceder Creek Flyers were not running, rode the Zeypher which was a full load. After that I made itbon Hydra twice and Talon once. Just a few years ago, I could easily ride Hydra and Talon twice each, Zeypher once, the drop towers once each, and Sterl Force 3 times after WWK closing, not anymore with increased crowds and slower operations. 

Edited by The Master

Cedar Creek Cannonball was closed when I was there last week as well. It was open today.

I noticed the slow dispatches at Thunder Creek Mountain as well. It was around 45 seconds per dispatch compared to 15 seconds at Hershey and around 20 seconds at Great Adventure.

Getting 4 Aquablast slides is great. I like the slide but rarely ride it since they added the no single rider policy. Last time I was at the slide, the lifeguard at the entrance almost didn't want to let me get in the line as a single rider until I asked if I could just wait at the top until there was another single rider or group of 2.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't just close Cedar Creek Flyers until Haunt when more people will be in that area. It seems like most of the time there are only a couple of riders per cycle or less with most people not walking down to that area of the park after Stinger was removed.

I did noticd part of the problem with the slow dispatches at the flume is that some riders take a really long time to put their stuff on the side and sit down in a log. Also would help if the park used both loading platforms instead of one. 

I was surprised to get four rides on Aqua Blast. What helped was the late 8PM closing time. Thhe arm of thd park the Flyers ard in is a pretty empty dead end which leads to low foot traffic. That section of Dorney has been pretty messed up for a while niw with the removal of Laser and all those kiddie rides. 

6 hours ago, The Master said:

Thhe arm of thd park the Flyers ard in is a pretty empty dead end which leads to low foot traffic. That section of Dorney has been pretty messed up for a while niw with the removal of Laser and all those kiddie rides. 

how about fix the area by adding a disko next to the flyers and add a gci coaster where the haunt building and restrooms are and part of stinger lot, and move the restrooms to where the rest of stinger is

Edited by harry2004
  • Thanks 1