VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hersheypark In The Dark, 10/19/18

Yoshi

I went to Hersheypark last night for the first day of Hersheypark in the Dark. I got to the park just before opening at 5:00. The line to get in was to where the tram circle is near the ticket counter. It took 15 minutes to get in and this was a low crowd night. On a busy day at opening, I can't imagine how bad it gets. It also doesn't help there is no rope drop like at Great Adventure and the gates don't open until park opening time. I think they should open the gates 15 - 20 minutes early and hold people up to where the fountain is to prevent the long lines to get it.

I wanted a front row ride at Great Bear and went there first. I missed it on my trip 3 weeks ago because this is what the line looked like:

HPLines1.JPG.085d0134f9af1b0d0c3f32ef34f5443d.JPG

This trip the station was mostly empty with a 1 train wait for the front row. Only 1 train was running and the line got up to 45 minutes later in the night.

sooperdooperlooper and Comet were next. sooperdooperlooper now has a sticker in the center of each car where the lap bars are with a green and red section. The lap bar has to be low enough to be in the green section to be able to ride. I wonder what caused this change as the ride has been running for around 40 years without the lap bars having to be low enough for someone to ride.

Wave Swinger is a ride I don't go to often but tried it for something different. It's fun but I prefer SkyScreamer. I went back to sooperdooperlooper and Comet again in case lines got worse if people entered at 7:30 for the preview plan.

Coal Cracker was closed as expected since the park was only open at night. The Reese's Triple Tower was closed as well. After the Hershey Triple Tower, I tried the Kisses Triple Tower that I normally skip. It has more air time than expected.

I stopped at Trailblazer since it was a 2 train wait before going to Storm Runner. 1 train was running and it was around 20 minutes. I was hoping with low crowds I might be able to ride Storm Runner a lot but wanted to get to other rides.

After Frontier Flyers, Fahrenheit had a 15 minute wait with 2 out of 3 trains running. Wild Mouse had a few minute wait even with only 5 cars running. The Whip was closed. Merry Dip Fun slides were closed too. I don't remember the last time I saw them open this year. Wildcat had a 5 minute wait in the app but seeing the line far down the ramp and 1 train running was probably closer to a 30 minute wait.

Lightning Racer had 1 train running on each side with about a 20 minute wait. I only rode Lightning. Wildcat was down to a 15 minute wait. I should have skipped it as it was really running poorly last night. More rough than normal and I got a slight headache from it. I'd hate to see GCI's first coaster gone but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind too much if it was converted to a RMC.

Skyrush had been closed earlier and reopened. Even with almost no line, 1 ride was enough. I finished the night at Comet with now had the lights off since it was during the last hour the park was open.

I skipped Laff Trakk since the lights are out the entire time for this event and without all the glow props lit up, it doesn't seem worth the wait even though I could have gone there first at opening and waited 5 - 10 minutes.

There was also less decorations compared to previous years so I only took a few pictures since I have posted pictures of most of the better decorations in past trip reports.

Ride Count:

Great Bear, 1

sooperdooperlooper, 2

Comet, 3

Wave Swinger, 1

Trailblazer, 1

Hershey Triple Tower, 1

Kisses Triple Tower, 1

Frontier Flyers, 1

Storm Runner, 1

Fahrenheit, 1

Wild Mouse, 1

Wildcat, 1

Lightning Racer Lightning Side, 1

Skyrush, 1

HersheyTR1.JPG.7fd6a270635c41dcade2fbcaf35236ba.JPG

HersheyTR2.thumb.JPG.eefa0809b9ae46ded661ad73ba1439a2.JPG

HersheyTR3.JPG.4e332ad083eb8c5ee94939705bc79c20.JPG

• Like 1

Will be heading to Hershey for there Christmas Candylane Season. I've gone to Sesame Place, Storybook Land, Disney California Adventure, Disneyland and Dutch Wonderland for there Christmas Events and can't wait to see where Hershey Ranks. I also still want to get to Great Adventure for there Holiday inn the Park.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, TylerRRC1972 said:

Will be heading to Hershey for there Christmas Candylane Season. I've gone to Sesame Place, Storybook Land, Disney California Adventure, Disneyland and Dutch Wonderland for there Christmas Events and can't wait to see where Hershey Ranks. I also still want to get to Great Adventure for there Holiday inn the Park.

I think bother Hersheypark and Great Adventure have excellent events. I prefer Holiday in the Park slightly more because of the coasters that are open. Other than sooperdooperlooper, I think Wildcat and Wild Mouse are ok and don't like Sidewinder. Laff Trakk would be ok too if it wasn't for the horrible lines it gets. I like that besides having Nitro and the other B&M coasters open besides Bizarro, there are more coasters running multiple trains so lines aren't as long at Great Adventure. Also because Great Adventure has the 2 indoor coasters and Justice League to warm up from the cold and Hershey only has Laff Trakk for an indoor ride this year.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:09 PM, The Master said:

Friday nights in Oct seem to be crowded for all the local parks. I was at Dorney this past Friday and it was pretty busy. 

Yeah, I was watching Queue Times a lot this past month and it was worse than normal. Hershey's lines wouldn't have been bad for some of the coasters if they were running multiple trains. The rides running 2 trains had low wait times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great Adventure has the 2 indoor coasters and Justice League to warm up from the cold and Hershey only has Laff Trakk for an indoor ride this year.

Apparently, one of my "friends" (using because I didn't want to say some girl in my major because it makes her sound random, but friend might not be the best term) is a ride op for Justice League and said something is down for safety reasons and may not reopen for HitP (Long story to how she got to mentioning that).

and P.S. i mentioned GAH to her but I don't know if she's joined

Edited by Pineracer
checked w/ friend

Sad news about JL, especially having an indoor ride being down during the cold weather season.  

I been to Hersheypark in the Dark the last two Sundays, and they were running two trains for Great Bear, Comet, SuperDooperLooper, and Trailblazer. Both trips the skyride was not operating. At night they closed a few flats down early, including the Claw, the kissing tower, whip, and even Superdooperlooper.