VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Tips for visiting Cedar Point?

Tbone112499

Hey all. This summer I'll be visiting Cedar Point for the first time. My friend and I are going to Hershey (I've been there many times) before making the drive to Sandusky. This will be both my friend and I's first ever trip to CP and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for navigating the park and any must-do's. Thanks in advance 🎢

Hey Tbone! Although it's a little expensive, I would highly recommend staying at the Breakers hotel if you can. Staying in the hotel allows you to enter the park early, and gives you access to the beach. Either way, make sure to get to Maverick first because you won't be able to get on it otherwise. It's an extremely popular, low capacity ride which makes for some insane wait times. Last time I visited, Steel Vengeance had not been built yet, but I'd probably head there next. Dragster also tends to run less and less consistently as the day goes by, so I'd make sure to ride that early too. Cedar Point is definitely one of my favorite parks I've been to. Make sure to hit up rides like Gemini and Iron Dragon, two rides that really exceeded my expectations. Although Millennium Force is popular, it has high capacity and not much down time, so I'd prioritize Maverick, Steel Vengeance, and Dragster over that. Also, watch out for bugs on the coasters at night. Don't want one of those flying into your mouth. Hope I was able to help you out!

Wait until later in the day to ride the coasters at the front of the park like Raptor and Gatekeeper. When I was there, an hour after opening, Raptor was a 45 minute wait, by the later afternoon, it was a walk on. Corkscrew was similar 30 minute wait in the middle of the day, walk on a few hours later.

I agree about Dragster, it had some downtime when I was there and when it reopened, the line builds up fast, especially with so many Fast Lane users.

Yes, Maverick and Dragster are definitely the first things to do once the park opens. Sometimes Dragster isn't open first thing in the morning, which is why I recommend going to Maverick first. Either way, I second Yoshi on saving rides at the front of the park like Blue Streak, Wicked Twister, Gatekeeper, and Raptor for the afternoon. Those rides are extremely crowded in the morning, but when I visited, Gatekeeper was a walk on by 2:00 for both sides as opposed to the hour plus wait times earlier in the day. 

Thanks everyone! My friend and his family are planning a lot of the logistics (lodging, travel, etc.). I think our plan is to spend 2 full days at CP, sandwiched between 2 separate days at Hershey on the way there and back. Not sure yet if we're staying at Breakers, but thanks again for all the park-navigating tips and giving me an idea for the layout and where to go first 👍