VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Last Night of Carnivale (Dorney Park)-8/11/19

Pineracer

After seeing a lot of videos surrounding Grand Carnivale, I finally made an excuse to return to Dorney Park (after what happened on my 8th grade trip). My mom also came and started (did the after 4 deal). She had the Beyond Burger and I had her fries. I had recently installed the app and it said 15 min wait for all coasters. I went over to Wild Mouse and waited 80mins and their were doing single person and half full trains. The wait time would be much lower if they did pairs and put two single riders together. This is more of an op problem, the rides is Meh (Dark Knight being indoors makes it cool). 

Next was Talon. When I went in 2014, it had broke down in the morning, but reopened later. It was about 40mins from when I joined the queue til I met back up with my mom (she doesn't really likes rides tbh). I was in Row 6, and I don't know if I had gone that far back on Batman or Great Bear (the only B&M inverts i've ridden) and felt like i was getting whipped through the later inversions (not the loop and not the drop as much). I haven't ridden the others since at least 2017 (I forget if I rode Batman on my 2018 visit).

3rd coaster (and last new credit of the night) was Thunderhawk. Thunderhawk was a station wait. Even in the middle of second car, I would describe as "Diet Phoeniox", but it was very short. Phoeniox is most likely my #1, but I only rode Holiday World's woodies once in 2016 so that could change when I see my Indy cousins again. Even if Voyage does overtake Phoeniox, it will still hold a special place for me.

Speaking of special rides, Demon Drop, being a "classic" also holds a soft spot for me. It was a stair wait (15-20 max from joining the queue to exiting the ride). One of the guy I rode with actually remembered Great Adventure's freefall. It might be over quick, but it's just a fun ride.

After that, it was about a 25 min wait for a sunset ride on Steel Force. I did the second to last row and it was hauling and the wind was blowing strong in my face with a lot of airtime. It was a littler jerky into the turn through the mid course, but the rest was awesome. I don't know if I like Nitro more or Steel Force at this point (then again Millie, Valravn, and Ka-despite also being over 200ft, are in leagues of their own).

Anyways, it was about time for the parade to start so we headed over to Planet Snoopy (then saw it as it made it's way around the carousel and pretty much left at that point).

Dorney needs to fix its app, or cut the wait time feature. It's better to say the wait is longer than it actually is than shorter, it's just a matter of business. Other than the terrible Wild Mouse operations, it was a great day. Now just have the both B&M's (and Woodstock Express) open during Winterfest, that be great.

I agree about Wild Mouse's operations. The rule of no more than 2 teenagers or adults per car really slows things down combined with the confusing loading system and 1 person checking restraints and advancing the cars makes the line barely move. When I rode the coaster last week, they were only running 4 cars and dispatches were so slow that my car was the only one on the main part of the ride and the other 3 were in the station.

• 4 weeks later...