VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney to remove Pleasure Island Clubs

JetsDevs4Lyf

On Screamscape recently they have had some artciles up about the closure of PLeasure Island in Downtown Disney as of September 27th of this year to "re-imagine" the concept there. This would include the removal of all 6 clubs in the are (Two comedy and 4 dance) to be replaced down the road most likely by more stores or restaurants in the future. There is a little more information Here in a FAQ posted to their own website by Disney.

In terms of my feeling on this, I have to say I am slightly dissapointed in this turn of events, though cannot say that I didn't see it coming. When I was younger, I always wanted to be able to take in the PLeasure Island experience. My first two visits to Disney before my most recent, I could walk through since we were with the family, but I wasn't able to enjoy it for what it was. When Kristi and I took our trip in January of 2007, We were both looking forward to a night of enjoyment at PLeasure Island. Unfortunaely from the time I purchased our Waterpark and more tickets, to the end of 2006, Disney changed their policies no longer allowing anyone under 21 but over 18 to be accompanied in by someone over 21. So being that Kristi was 20 at the time we were basically disqualified from the main reason I had purchased the tickets. We did take in the Adventurer's club though and enjoyed it so much. It was our plan to return to Disney in a few years with some friends, and that Comedy CLub was one of the things we were really looking forward to taking in with them, so unfortunately it looks as though my limited experience with PI will be over. As I said this is not completely unexpected by me considering the changes they had already made, however I am still dissapointed nontheless that on our next visit, Downtown Disney just won't be the same. On another interesting note just to finish here, there have alos been rumors it seems floating around the net on a new Disney park themed for the night life in on way or a nother with the name "Night Kingdom" popping up here and there. I have no information on where this even originated, but if anoyone has any opinions on the PI closure or anything else nightlife I' love to hear how you feel!

This one was easy to see coming. The hints were there - elimination of gate ticketing access, the discontinuation of the New Year's Celebration, etc.

I use to enjoy the original show in the Comedy Warehouse Club where they would pretty much make fun of themselves and the "Disney-way". One of my favorite bits was them acting like Small World dolls while none of the boats were passing by - they would be gambling, spitting, and smoking. As soon as a boat approached they kicked into song. :)

Didn't get to see the show you mention there, but it sounds like you had a blast. I wasn't expecting too much when we went to the Adventurer's Club, but it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable aspects of our nighttime in Disney and I was realy looking forward to going back there. It is unfortunate that an option like that won't exist anymore, but I guess we can only wait and see now what takes shape. Afterall it is Disney and if anyone knows what needs to be done it is them so we will see :) Kongaloosh :)

I live in Central Florida and worked at Disney back in the mid-late 90's. Back then, Pleasure Island (PI we call it) was a completely different animal.

Buy a ticket, club hop all night. Fireworks, confetti, baloons, conga line, every midnight. Live bands on the street. 8 Trax, Rockand Roll Beach Club,(the bitch club we used to call it), and of course Mannequins. After they tore down the stage and eliminated the tickets, and the fireworks, we all knew the end was nigh. I have a great video of PI back in the day on DVD. As soon as I get back to Florida, I will upload it and post it on You Tube so you can check it out. JS