VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Sunday trip report 03/17/2024

The Master

My first trip at the park this year and I wish I could say it was a good one but often is the case the park had issues with its seasonal opening.

First some good news, the paintball quonset hut has been removed which has greatly improved Dream Street. The parachute tower is still standing. Sadly there is a lot more bad news. First the parking lot is now a mess, they increased the size of preferried parking to a quarter of the the whole parking lot. They also rearranged the driveway lanes into a confussing mess, they even now have security guards stopping every car to direct them to the proper lanes. It looks like parking for the glamping is a section in the main parking lot.

Inside the park many rides are closed besides the ones undergoing refurbishment. Skull Mt, KK, and several flats were closed. To compund matters all the running coasters were only operating single trains causing unusually long lines for the level of park attendance.  Flash pass was already inmoperation, hopefully SF isn't following Disney's MO of running rides under capacity to spur upcharge fast pass sales. Batman broke down while I was sitting on the train in the station.

• Like 2

Hopefully they get multiple trains running soon. Combined with those re-ride bracelets in use this weekend, it must have been frustrating.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Centraljerseycoasters said:

Park was not crowded at all from an employee's perspective. I worked Main Street Snacks and the only real issue through the day was the new registers.

The park wasn't crowded but that was negated by single train operations for the coasters. Nitro had a posted hour long line halfway to the forward switchbacks. Batman was completely down the stairs into the tunnel, DK had a solid line into the first pre show room, Medusa was down the stairs and ground queued. JD's line was into the first queue house. Surprisingly El Toro had the shortest line of the major coasters. The flats had short lines as they were not being operated at reduced capacity.  Several of the big coasters being closed also compounded  the problems but the worst issue was the single train operations along with extra slow dispatching.  Hopefully these issues will be ironed out in the upcoming weeks.  

Edited by The Master

I was surprised to see how gigantic they made the preferred lot. If it makes you feel any better, getting into the parking lots the previous day with no security might have been even worse - several of the Speedy Parking lanes were being held up by people who didn't their license plate numbers on file, and there wasn't much forewarning about the pre-registration requirements on the initial approach. The system itself did work well, but definitely could have used a little more clarity regarding who was eligible to use the lanes.

It felt like the re-ride bracelets did hold things up quite a bit, especially combined with the flash pass users and single train operations. Zumanjaro wasn't immune to that effect either - ops didn't pre-load the lanes with riders ahead of time since there wasn't much in the way of indication for how many people would be going a second time. 2X rides was certainly a cool concept, but it was also pretty difficult to execute.

• Like 1