VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Tornado slide confirmed for Hurricane Harbor

29yrswithaGApass

Source: APP

Six Flags to discount season passes in 2010

By Michael L. Diamond • BUSINESS WRITER • September 23, 2009

Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, whose parent company is reorganizing in bankruptcy court, will discount its prices for season passes in 2010 to offset the impact of the slow economy, an executive said.

Meanwhile, the amusement park said its newest attraction next season will be a 60-foot funnel-shaped water ride called the Tornado that will be added to the Hurricane Harbor water park.

"In this economy, our guests are real bargain hunters," said Mark Kane, president of Six Flags Great Adventure. "They're looking for the best deal."

The plan comes with a little more than a month left in a lackluster season that saw the park hurt by the one-two punch of rainy weather and a slow economy. That only added to the financial cloud the Shore's biggest summertime employer found itself under.

Six Flags Great Adventure's parent company, New York-based Six Flags Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in June to get breathing room from its crushing debt.

The company has proposed giving its lenders control of the company and a new $600 million loan in exchange for eliminating about $1.13 billion in debt. But noteholders and other unsecured creditors, who are in line to recoup only a fraction of their investment, have presented a competing plan.

The noteholders' attorney in court documents took issue with part of the company's plan that would allow management to split $30 million in bonuses if the company successfully reorganizes.

The case is being heard in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del.

At the same time, Six Flags reported a net loss of $116.18 million for the second quarter, compared with a net income of $94.59 million in the same period the year before. It said revenue declined 13 percent. And it said guest spending per person fell 4 percent.

Kane said Six Flags Great Adventure tried to respond by continuing its turnaround plan that began four years ago and called for the amusement park to be more family friendly.

This year, it added Saturday night fireworks displays by Pyrotechnico, an award-winning fireworks company. It added bells and whistles to its Medusa roller coaster. And it tried to keep the park spotless and serve its customers more quickly.

Kane said the third quarter — July, August and September — improved.

"I think we're turning in a very solid season," he said.

Six Flags Great Adventure might have withstood the recession better than amusement parks such as Walt Disney World because it depends more on regional customers than visitors from overseas, said Harold J. Nolan, a marketing professor at Georgian Court University in Lakewood.

Still, even if the economy is starting to emerge from the recession, economists predict only sluggish growth. The core dilemma remains, Nolan said: How do you keep your loyal customers and attract new ones?

"Do what you have to do in the short-run to keep them coming back," Nolan said. "As (the economy) goes back to normal, you can adjust prices accordingly."

Six Flags Great Adventure executives appear to be thinking along the same lines. Among the details for next season:

Six Flags Great Adventure has introduced a pass for $69.99, giving customers admission this year to Fright Fest, its annual Halloween celebration, and unlimited access all of next season to the Great Adventure theme park and other Six Flags theme parks nationwide.

It also will lower the season pass for the theme park and safari to $79.99 from $99.99. And it will lower the season pass for the theme park, safari and water park to $99.99 from $129.99. The daily passes — $39.99 online and $49.99 at the gate — will remain the same.

The company plans celebrate the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Harbor with the Tornado, a giant vortex in which guests swing from side to side in a 135-foot long tube into a pool of water.

"Our mantra is friendly, clean, fast and safe," Kane said. "I think we hit 100 percent on all those mantra points. . . . But we want to be even friendlier and faster."

I'm not a huge fan of the Tornado slides simply because they last all of about 7 seconds. However, I think the park itself is lovely and, despite the obnoxious management of tubes in recent years, well worth a visit on a nice early season day when crowds aren't bad. Just expect many of the usual Six Flags hassles, especially when it comes to getting "courtesy" tubes for attractions.

I didn't have much trouble getting tubes for the slides at HH except the Four Winds. But the river on the otherhand was a real PITA this year. A good thing about tornado slides is that they don't take rental size tubes.

Edited by The Master

^ You're right; that is a good thing. But keep in mind if you go on a busier day the pathetic and irritating situation you encountered at the river is the situation you encounter at EVERY tube ride.

I should note that I have no issue with waiting a few extra minutes for a tube if I am not paying to rent one, but if the park is choosing to make money off of renting tubes, they must also pay for attendants to manage tube lines at tube attractions, similar to paying attendants to check Flash Passes in the theme park. SFNE executes this system wonderfully in their waterpark, with attendants organizing lines for ample amounts of courtesy tubes at all attractions. The unsupervised free-for-all that takes place at Great Adventure's waterpark is shameful, not to mention unsafe, as guests often distract lifeguards from their important duties because there is nobody to supervise the tube issue.

I hope the park ponies up in the coming year in favor of the park experience rather than in ripping off guests as much as possible, but judging by how things have been going, the tube policies will likely be getting even worse.

True but there were alot less free tubes in the river this year than in past years. I always wonder what the people who do rent tubes do with them when they ride the family raft or toboggan slides so that their rental tubes are not stolen.

^ Wow, just wow. <_<

Anyways, even though everyone including myself knew that this was eventually going to happen at one point or another, I'm excited for this. The The ride will have plenty of space and I'm happy they did this for HH's 10th anniversary.

Edited by nbadude44

• 5 weeks later...

Great Adventure is scheduled to share their plans for the Tornado slide at the Jackson Township Planning Board meeting tonight.

JACKSON TOWNSHIP PLANNING BOARD

PUBLIC MEETING AGENDA

NOVEMBER 2, 2009

MEETING STARTS AT 7:30 PM

Approval – Six Flags Great Adventure – Block 3101 Lot 11 applicant

seeks administrative approval to add an additional water slide in Hurricane Harbor.