VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Safari Park Canal Boat Tours

29yrswithaGApass

In the August 12, 1972 edition of the Asbury Park Evening Press an article entitled "Drive-In Zoo Plan Principals Named" mentions that a boat ride through the Safari was planned in addition to the roadway that exists today.

It states, "Mr. LeRoy also said a special boat ride would be open to spectators wanting to ride through canals while watching the animals."

Do any of our early Safari staff remember talks of such a ride? Plans obviously changed dramatically over time and I am wondering how close this idea was to becoming reality.

I never heard a thing about a boat ride through the Safari? I was involved a full year before construction began because the first and most animals to stock the park came from World of Animals in Mesquite, Tx where I was employed. I heard all kinds of stories than never came to pass so I assume that the boat ride was one of them.

I wonder where they got that idea? ...cough cough Jungle Cruise cough cough. interestingly enough, Walt Disney was originally going to use live animals for the Jungle Cruise but decided against it seeing that the animals might fall asleep lol.

That would be a really interesting way yo experience the safari especially if it started "in park" ala safari tour bus.

I wonder if they were actually referring to the Boat Safari from the Neptune's Kingdom concept:

Proposal-OTR-NK-16.jpg

Boat Safari – a mile long boat ride. Boats are followed by sea lions who perform and leap for food fed them by patrons. The boat travels past a number of islands inhabited by chimpanzees, gorillas and gibbons. Along the shore are many animals such as wild boar and raccoon. On its trip, the boat passes a spectacular burning house and other surprises.