VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags (Great America) plans interactive pirate game for 2009

GAcoaster

From the DailyHerald.com:

Six Flags plans interactive pirate game

By Lee Filas | Daily Herald Staff

Pirates are coming to Gurnee.

Six Flags Great America in Gurnee announced Wednesday afternoon that Buccaneer Battle, a new interactive water ride, will be unveiled at the park in May.

The pirate-themed attraction incorporates lighting, music, dialogue, costumes, set design and special effects, said Brooke Gabbert, public relations manager for the park.

Buccaneer Battle, manufactured by Mack Rides, will feature 10 pirate ships carrying eight passengers each through a 450-foot channel.

As the cars navigate the channel, the battle begins as passengers armed with powerful soaker guns take aim at each other, targets and spectators.

Gabbert said some targets will fire back at the passengers, while others display a variety of special effects. And, the spectators, of course, will be armed with the same soaker guns.

"The addition of Buccaneer Battle offers our guests an interactive experience that will complement our already-vast and diverse lineup of rides and attractions," said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America's park president. "This new supersensory experience will put Great America in a class of its own when it comes to family friendly entertainment."

Construction has already begun on the ride, which will be located in the County Fair area, next to Farmer's Market.

"It's being built in the footprint where De Ja Vue was located," Gabbert said. "I really think it's going to be a ride everyone will have fun on and enjoy."

Dollywood has the same ride I believe. It is called River Battle . You use hand cranks to fire the water (You crank your arse off for a half decent stream) and you allways end up with some job trying to blast your kids eyes out or lasering down on the wife's fun bags. Its configured with a bunch of twists so at 450 feet it will have a small footprint. I gotta be honest for however millions this thing costs it aint all that much fun. Let them have it I'd be happier with a drop tower !! If anyone wants I have some pics I think of river battle I could post them If anyone is interested.

^ Several parts of that made me laugh!

Isn't it interesting that we have an underutilized nautical themed Lake Front section in the park which features a large vacant plot of land that stretches from the fomer Evolution site all the way through to the former Pirate's Flight site! Hmmmm..... :Pirate2:

gallery_2_28_154385.jpg

• 7 months later...

While at Dollywood on Saturday I made it a point to check out their River Battle water ride, knowing that Six Flags is putting a similar attraction (Buccaneer Battle) into Six Flags Great America this year. If successful at SFGAm, chances are a copy of the ride could be added to Great Adventure in the near future.

I think the best word to describe the ride is "cute"; unfortunately, I am not too sure how far "cute" plays out at Great Adventure. The ride is by no means a thrill ride. It seemed to be more of a glorified kiddie ride- but a really nice one! There were very few adult riders, and most parents opted to stay shore-side while their kids floated around on the boats. This worked out well as they could then squirt each other rather than at total strangers. It was interesting to note that the ride (at least in Dollywood) did not appear to appeal to teens or young adults further narrowing the age demographic for the attraction.

The day we visited was rainy and I am sure that may have influenced many rider's decision about whether to ride River Battle. I'm curious to see how well this ride does at Six Flags Great America. I am hoping it does well because we could really use a ride with this level of theming, not to mention a new water ride!

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg