VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jumpin' Jack Flash

29yrswithaGApass

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess the problems are what come with prototype rides. The New Jersey ride modification laws interest me though, as to what exactly counts as a "modification" according to the law. Could this be why Rolling Thunder kept the skid brakes for so long instead of upgrading to a more modern braking system? Also if it is required for modifications to be made with the manufacturer, does that mean parks in other states do modifications to their rides themselves?

Edit: Thanks for the reply also 29yrswithaGApass, your reply came as I was typing this post. It is interesting that only the cars were kept. I guess they weren't worth enough to be sold as scrap metal, or the center tower actually went somewhere other than a junkyard.

Edited by RC98

The New Jersey ride modification laws interest me though, as to what exactly counts as a "modification" according to the law. Could this be why Rolling Thunder kept the skid brakes for so long instead of upgrading to a more modern braking system? Also if it is required for modifications to be made with the manufacturer, does that mean parks in other states do modifications to their rides themselves?

That is a big part of the decision not to upgrade the brakes on RT and its demise. I'm not sure of the extent or exact wording of the rules, but I remember reading about them when there was an accident on a ride in Ocean City or Wildwood a few (probably 10-15) years ago where the park had made modifications to the lift hill that resulted in an accident.

Since each state makes their own rules (or lacks rules) regarding ride safety, it varies. New Jersey's rules are some of the toughest (I think California is tougher) which is why rides are often moved out of California and New Jersey parks to other parks. I believe Evolution was moved to Missouri partly because Six Flags could make the modifications themselves that way.

Thanks for the reply, and thank you for staying patient through all my questions! The technical, decision-making side of the amusement industry interests me quite a bit, in addition to the Jumpin' Jack Flash ride itself. I guess it left an impression on me as a young child for me to still remember it today!

Very cool ride. I did not go to sfga the years the ride operated, so I had no idea how much better that section of the park looked then than it does now!

Curious - does sf have the engineering capability to design/modify rides today or is all of that outsourced to external firms/manufacturers? I wonder if sf has any 'imagineers' like Disney.

Six Flags does have their own engineering/design department and it is based at GA partly to oversee the maintenance nightmare that is Kingda Ka. If I'm not mistaken it really is just a department of one or two people, and they contract things out as well depending on the project.

• 5 years later...