VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Record Turnout For Dorney Park Job Fair

Up_Up_and_Away

From CBS 3, Philadelphia:

Record Turnout For Dorney Park Job Fair

20080624_CBS_Simmoneau_01_W.jpg

Ben Simmoneau

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (CBS 3)

It's not just full-time jobs that are harder to find in this economy. Seasonal employment is becoming much more competitive. Just ask officials at Dorney Park in Allentown. Three times more people than expected turned out for a summer job fair at Dorney Park Saturday.

Typically, about 150 people show up. This year there were more than 500.

"We are today seeing a lot of people 18 and over, a lot of professional people," says Ann Jones, Dorney's human resources director. Every year the park hires about 2,500 summer workers to run rides, staff games, sell food and conduct maintenance.

"We've interviewed a lot more today than we had anticipated."

Some of the applicants lost their full-time jobs and are just trying to make ends meet.

"I'll take whatever they have for me," says Frank Bailey of Allentown. He says he was laid off a year ago.

Others, like insurance claims agent Steve Hoffman, are just looking for some extra money.

"Our 401(k)s, IRAs, with the stock market down, you've lost a lot of money. I just realized how much it was," says Hoffman who's applying for jobs in marketing or operations. "With this economy, it's good to get some extra work, part-time work."

Park officials hope the economy will keep travelers close to home this summer, boosting attendance at day-trip destinations like Dorney Park.

But still, there are only so many jobs available here which means it might be tougher for 15-year-old Matt Guetzlaff to land one.

Guetzlaff is hoping to get his first job so he can save money to buy a car.

Without a doubt, it "makes more competition," he said.

One thing with all the laid off professionals out there, it will be a lot harder for the college kids to get a job this year. If it means better service for me and other park guests, I am for it though. Maybe I won't hear any strong European accents this summer.

Wow sounds like a lot of people showed up considering the park isn't that big (at least compared to other local parks like Hershey and Great Adventure). They probably need a lot of people for Haunt as well with more stuff being added this year.