VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

1975 GA Home Movie Footage

Below is a GREAT silent home movie of Great Adventure from the early 70's. It includes rare footage of the new for 1975 Fun Fair section of the park including the Fender Bender Bumper Cars, Schwabinchen, Panorama Wheel, Enterprise (the original model), glimpses of the Swiss Bob (with snow backdrop) and Wilder Rider (Trokia ride). Also featured in the movie are the Calypso, Garden of Marvels, and several of the earliest street characters.

The video is embedded between two shore segments and the Great Adventure portion begins at 3:37 and runs for about seven minutes. Great historic footage!

NOTE: If you happen to be the owner of this video, please send us an email at feedback@greatadventurehistory.com . We would love to talk to you about obtaining a copy of this footage.

Great find!!!! That brought back some memories, especially of the Garden Of Marvels for me. I remember the small black train, and I quess it was a representation of the Comtemporary Hotel from Disney in the one shot (tell me if i'm wrong). And I forgot how much I went on Calypso when I was little until i watched the Video, and I used to love the little roof that each car had. I think I even had the exact same outfit that the little boy had in it, tube socks all the way up, with a #12 shirt on. Thank's for sharing this incredible find, only if had audio it would have been perfect.

I remember the small black train, and I quess it was a representation of the Comtemporary Hotel from Disney in the one shot (tell me if i'm wrong).

All the Garden of Marvels buildings were models of European landmarks and structures so it wasn't the Contemporary. Is this the building you were thinking of?

gallery_2_43_20834.jpg

There were several building that didn't look like anything more than European-style office buildings but it could be they were designed by a famous architect or had some historical significance.

If there is anyone here with an in-depth knowledge of European landmarks and architecture we could use your assistance when we do the Garden of Marvels Spotlight! :)

• 1 month later...

Hats off to the person who dusted off the old home movies. Truly brought me back to a time that was a great experience and adventure.

Having been born and raised on Long Island and living about 75 miles from GA, my folks would take my brother and I to GA at least once every summer (sometimes even twice...if we got good grades in school) from 1974-83 before moving to Los Angeles in 1984. I recently found old souvenir books from 1974, 1976 and 1981 and maps of the park from 1979 and 1980. I also located a 1977 press kit of GA given to us by a family friend who worked in GA's public relations department at that time.

Thumbing through those items and combing though the maps, I could remember all of those various kinds of rides/attractions that covered all of those acres.

While most of those things are no longer around, those childhood memories can't be taken away.

Hats off to the person who dusted off the old home movies. Truly brought me back to a time that was a great experience and adventure.

Having been born and raised on Long Island and living about 75 miles from GA, my folks would take my brother and I to GA at least once every summer (sometimes even twice...if we got good grades in school) from 1974-83 before moving to Los Angeles in 1984. I recently found old souvenir books from 1974, 1976 and 1981 and maps of the park from 1979 and 1980. I also located a 1977 press kit of GA given to us by a family friend who worked in GA's public relations department at that time.

Thumbing through those items and combing though the maps, I could remember all of those various kinds of rides/attractions that covered all of those acres.

While most of those things are no longer around, those childhood memories can't be taken away.

Welcome Yankees99! We hope you enjoy checking everything out here.

I agree about the childhood memories! There are so many things still in the park even today that takes me back to years past. After so many years visiting the park, almost everything does! :)

If you can share scans of the 1977 press kit with us, we would love to add it to our History Galleries.

• 1 month later...

Let me see what I can do.

My scanner has been on the blinker on and off for the past few weeks.

I tried to scan some of it the other day, but to no avail. Some of the literature from the kit is crumpled quite a bit as it's 32 years old.

The question I have for you is this: How is it that I have the kit and you don't?

I thought YOU had everything. :)

Cheers!!

PS--Any idea if you are going to be able to get the links to all of the rides on the Rides Page up and running?

There's some pretty amazing stuff that I can't wait to see.

The question I have for you is this: How is it that I have the kit and you don't?

Any idea if you are going to be able to get the links to all of the rides on the Rides Page up and running?

We can never tell what is out there in the GA information and souvenir world especially with press kits. While we may have one for a particular season the contents often changed depending upon what time of year they were mailed out or what specific events they may have been promoting.

We are working towards getting ALL the rides and coasters detailed with our Spotlight pages. There are also additional non-ride related attractions we have in the works like the Garden of Marvels, the Hot Air Balloon, show venues, etc. Not to mention the stuff found in Hurricane Harbor and all the sections of the Safari. I mentioned once before, even though the Spotlights contain a lot of information, they are really just building blocks for us to use to pull all of this together. Although we will never have GAH 100% completed, the end-product that we have in mind should be quite spectacular!