VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kingda Ka Now Re-Opened

After reportedly experiencing downtime due to lightning strikes, Kingda Ka is closed, as many of you know. I asked around, and supposedly it's supposed to be closed until August.

Just a quick update on the whole Kingda Ka status, as the ride is still closed and a picture was posted over at Coaster Fusion that pretty much tells the whole story (link removed by request from photographer) as to why. Just scroll down to the picture at the bottom of the page and you'll see cranes pulling out the ride's hydraulic engine from the "engine house". It seems the damage is so bad that they have to pull it out, repair and rebuild it.

I tried to find the photo they mentioned, but I couldn't dig it up. Anyone else have more details, or access to the photo?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The link was just removed from screamscape but the picture is still on the original web site. I have it bookmarked but I don't believe it is allowed to be shared on this site. Screamscape also said today:

"...On a side note, I’ve been told not to expect Kingda Ka to reopen until around the end of July as they are hard at work trying to finish up the much needed repair to the system. No more band-aids, this should be the real fix."

I still find it hard to believe that the park would just do a "duct tape" fix to it last time knowing it was prone to break down.

Edited by rcji

I really hope it isn't closed the rest of the season, I was looking forward to riding in September and Friday Night Frightfest days when the park is generally not that crowded (since it would be way to crowded to ride KK now even if it was open).

• 3 weeks later...

Ka draws people to the park. I think GA is doing all they can to recoop some of the season and some of the revenue they've lost due to it's issues. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I can't deal with thinking it's down for the rest of the season...I only got 10 rides on it this year (so far ;) ).

My worst nightmare:

From six flags,

Dear valued guests, it is my unwanted task to inform you that with the recent troubles with Kingda ka, the final decision has been made to remove the coaster at the end of the season.

I would die. That would take GAdv OFF the map.

Don't even joke like that! I nearly had a heart attack reading this. :excl:

I don't think they would remove Ka. Even if it doesn't work people still see it and tell other people about it which then brings in more people. I can't see Gadv removing any of our coasters except for RT. If they take Gasm out that is a big spot to fill. I don't want to see it go because a few million dollars on Carolina Cobra trains isn't much of an investment. Imagine Gasm....smooth. It's a monster now but as a smooth enjoyable 173 ft. beast...words going to spread. A Maverick clone would be sweet in that spot though.

hey guys does anybody know if it'd even testing? I was there last weekend. I posted a trip report on sfneonline.com, but besides the point someone thought they saw one of the trains going in one of the pictures i took, i dont think it is because i did not see or hear anything from there and i took it from the sky way. It was over the first hump, ive been looking around to see if anything in that section looks like that from a further distance. Some people say yes its the train and others say no. I'm just seeing if anybody knows anything.

Im going back for the riding the bull event in september, hoping its open. I'm sure we all do .lol

hey guys does anybody know if it'd even testing? I was there last weekend. I posted a trip report on sfneonline.com, but besides the point someone thought they saw one of the trains going in one of the pictures i took, i dont think it is because i did not see or hear anything from there and i took it from the sky way. It was over the first hump, ive been looking around to see if anything in that section looks like that from a further distance. Some people say yes its the train and others say no. I'm just seeing if anybody knows anything.

Im going back for the riding the bull event in september, hoping its open. I'm sure we all do .lol

I was at the park Tuesday and it did not test at all or anything. The trains sat idle in the station and I saw maintenance workers working on the launch section of the track. Once it starts testing it shouldn't be long until it opens. This breakdown has turned out to be just as bad (if not worse) than the one it had in it's opening season.