VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA in the Guinness book

Mr. Hot Dog

Has anyone seen the 2011 edition of Guinness World Records? I leafed through the book in the store the other day and saw Great Adventure listed twice -- once for Kingda Ka (I think as the tallest/fastest coaster open to the public), and once for El Toro (I think for having the steepest drop on a wooden coaster). I'm just paraphrasing the wording... it might have been a little differently worded. Everyone knows there are/were some recordbreakers in the park, but it's always cool to see it in print.

I looked at it for a minute last week, they had KK as tallest coaster and Ring Racer as fastest. I don't think Ring Racer should have gotten fastest coaster since it barely operated and I remember reading that it never reached it's full speed the short time it was open.

Ring Racer is definitely kind of weird. It doesn't sound all that exciting to ride a coaster that speeds up to essentially do nothing... no top hat or anything too interesting.

I thought there was a wooden coaster somewhere with a drop that was a little steeper too, beating El Toro by 1 degree (edit: T Express, built in 2008). I remember one of the Guinness editions from the 80s pointing out that coaster claims are often exaggerated by parks, so maybe that was the case with that coaster. GWR seems pretty diligent about fact checking, so maybe T Express wasn't as steep as advertised.