VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

California's Great America Sending Invertigo to Dorney?

GAcoaster

Our friends at News + Notes posted this yesterday:

As for that rumor part, well, I'm here to spread it I guess. I've been told that the ride is indeed coming to Dorney Park, and will reside in the former home of Laser. Apparently the park is already making moves to get ready for its arrival, which will be sooner than later.

How much sooner? Well that's where things get really surprising - I was told that the plan is to open Invertigo at Dorney Park in summer 2011, not summer 2012. Yes, the rumor is that a rush job of massive proportions will take place to have the ride up and running by June of this summer.

I'm guessing if this does happen that it's from the pressure to perform that Cedar Fair is under right now. The new people in charge must have realized that a revamp of a children's area was not going to draw the kind of numbers they want to see from Dorney when GA is opening a B&M. It seems like a smart move, but honestly Dorney can't seem to catch a break getting Cedar Fair leftovers. Granted, they're good rides they've received but it looks like they'll go another couple of seasons before they see a new coaster. My understanding was they were the next to get a GCI woodie and that it was goign in that lower area, but if I had to guess they'll now just get another Windseeker for 2012, with the next major project pushed off to 2013 or later. Of course, all that could change if CF changes hands or merges with Six Flags.

Hopefully we'll get a confirmation at East Coaster next weekend.

Green Lantern/Chang is an SF leftover but nobody here is complaining about that. It will be a long time before we see another coaster building craze like we saw during the 90s and early 2000s. The way the ecomony is now, the local parks are lucky to get used coasters.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree. People are not spending how they used to and parks need to think more about their additions. Parks with high coaster counts can afford to loose or replace smaller older coasters and shift them to a park that will see it as a bigger deal.

I think the coaster will do well at Dorney. Though some of the market may have already ridden it while SFAm had theirs operating.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree. People are not spending how they used to and parks need to think more about their additions. Parks with high coaster counts can afford to loose or replace smaller older coasters and shift them to a park that will see it as a bigger deal.

I think the coaster will do well at Dorney. Though some of the market may have already ridden it while SFAm had theirs operating.

Probably not that many, even GADV is closer to SFA than Dorney is.

• 6 years later...