VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Tilt-A-Whirl

29yrswithaGApass

They don't release figures for each park anywhere. The closest thing are the estimates put out by TEA/AECOM. (but again, just "estimates" by people in the industry) http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2015_Theme_Index__Museum_Index.pdf

Interestingly AECOM is a competitor of my engineering company.

For individual North American parks in 2015, SFGA ranks 19th with 3.1M visitors, just ahead of Busch Gardens Williamsburg, which is surprising to me. Disney and Universal have 9 of the top 10 parks for attendance. Hurricane Harbor is ranked 16th.

Obviously NJ is disadvantaged by having a much shorter season than Florida and California parks.

In essence, SFGA has no more visitors now than it did back in the early 1980s, despite all the expansions and additions. I wonder how low attendance sunk in the late 80s and 90s after the Haunted House fire and the period of time when a lot of "undesirables" came to the park? It was during those years that I stopped going - I almost feared for my safety at times.

Edited by dougdrummer

Very cool video. They did a great job getting around parts of the park. The Tilt-A-Whirl was always a crowd drawer. You could enter Fun Fair two different ways and you'd see the ride immediately. Like a magnet.

I forgot that you could look down upon the Rotor. Cool to see the second ferris wheel from the big one. The movie footage of the safari was great - back in the 70s car air conditioning was not as prevalent as it is today. So to keep your windows up, especially on a really hot day, was a big challenge.

I loved the Wild Rider. One of my favorite rides.

I just found another cool video from 1976.

What an awesome stroll down memory lane! Whoever shot this footage, probably on an 8 mm movie camera, had some decent photography skills, because the quality was very good. I loved seeing all the cars, clothes, and hair styles from the mid-70's, which was when I was a teenager.

• 2 years later...