VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Tilt-A-Whirl

29yrswithaGApass

When the Tilt a Whirl was added it had a red, white, and blue paint job but around 1981 it was painted gold, orange and yellow with "simulated wood" car sides. This paint scheme matched nicely with the Hernando's Hideaway area when it was moved for 1983, but for some reason they left the blue and white tarp in the center of the ride. I always thought that looked strange.

web22%20copy.jpg

GAH%20SEP81%2040008%20copy.jpg

• 3 years later...

With Six Flags multi-ride contract with Larson for next year including a Tilt a Whirl for Six Flags Over Georgia, the possibility of Great Adventure seeing this type of ride once again has just increased. This classic ride would be a good add-on attraction for our park and would go nicely between the Six Flags Bus and Fender Benders.

4.png

• Like 1

^ I agree, they could have easily gone with a tilt a whirl and flying scooter package since both are made by the same company as looping dragon. Honestly I don't see who they're targeting LD for anyway, judging by the reactions kids looking for a first thrill ride won't want to ride it since it goes upside down over and over again, but thrill seekers won't want to ride it since it's an off the shelf carnival ride. So who actually will ride it then? A tilt a whirl and a flying scooter are both great family rides with that specific draw, LD really has no draw.

• 1 year later...

I believe the Tilt-A-Whirl was the only ride at Great Adventure never to receive any type of promotion or even mention that it was being added to the park. That is king of odd being they made it a point to mention all the year's other additions including Rolling Thunder, Enterprise, Haunted Castle, and even Australian section of the Safari.

I believe the Tilt-A-Whirl was the only ride at Great Adventure never to receive any type of promotion or even mention that it was being added to the park. That is king of odd being they made it a point to mention all the year's other additions including Rolling Thunder, Enterprise, Haunted Castle, and even Australian section of the Safari.

Actually, Harry, I believe the policy at the time was to promote only "new" attractions (meaning brand new and/or never used before). I know in the case of Dream Street Dazzler being replaced with Mo Mo The Monster, it is only mentioned because it's name had changed as well as the actual ride itself, with the general public probably seeing it as the same ride with simply a change in paint scheme.

^I could understand replacement rides like the Monster Spin not being promoted too much- technically the same should have applied to the new Enterprise because it was at the park before too. But the Tilt-a-Whirl was a new experience and never seen before at the park. Granted it wasn't a headline attraction but it seems it was slighted.

Off topic from what you guys are talking about, but considering Six Flags started adding Tilt-a-Whirls to their parks again, it'd be wishful thinking to get one at our park.

In my opinion I don't think tilt-a-whirls would be a good addition for any park. They're found more at lets say a boardwalk down the beach or a local town carnival. To me they seem outdated but don't get me wrong I love Tilt-a-whirls but I'm sure it's something the public doesn't want.

I think people would ride another Tilt A Whirl. The same could have been said about Deja Vu and it seems to have a lot of riders. During Holiday In The Park it there were times had a full queue with a temporary overflow queue setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

But, I'm sure you were a lot more cheerful as an operator than that one gal was.

Those uniforms remind me of what Burger King employees wore in the 70s.

I was never a big fan of Tilt a Whirl or other spinning rides.

When I rode Tea Cups last visit, I made sure we didn't spin the car. LOL

Edited by dougdrummer

Whenever i saw this at the park it always attracted a crowd, always wondered why they removed it?

The Tilt-A-Whirl, Monster Spin, Skooter Bumper Cars (near Free Fall), and the Calypso were all removed at the end of 1987 because the park wanted to reduce capacity given its sagging attendance numbers after the incidents of 1987.

The Tilt-A-Whirl, Monster Spin, Skooter Bumper Cars (near Free Fall), and the Calypso were all removed at the end of 1987 because the park wanted to reduce capacity given its sagging attendance numbers after the incidents of 1987.

Is there a place on this website where you can look at attendance figures by year? I know in the yearbook section you can get that info separately for each year, but there is not data available after 1982 or so. I think they started out just over 1 million/year and were up to between 2 and 3 million/year in the 1980s. It was weird how attendance fluctuated year to year so wildly back then. You would think it was steadily grow as they added rides. I wonder if weather has a huge impact on attendance. Certainly the overall economy does, as well as ticket/food/parking prices.

Is there a place on this website where you can look at attendance figures by year? I know in the yearbook section you can get that info separately for each year, but there is not data available after 1982 or so. I think they started out just over 1 million/year and were up to between 2 and 3 million/year in the 1980s. It was weird how attendance fluctuated year to year so wildly back then. You would think it was steadily grow as they added rides. I wonder if weather has a huge impact on attendance. Certainly the overall economy does, as well as ticket/food/parking prices.

They don't release figures for each park anywhere. The closest thing are the estimates put out by TEA/AECOM. (but again, just "estimates" by people in the industry) http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2015_Theme_Index__Museum_Index.pdf