VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Why did Jumbo Jet never open?

Does anyone have any info on why Jumbo Jet never opened at the park but was fully assembled? seems very odd to go through everything and never open the ride.

That is one of the greatest mysteries...All i know is it was there durng the rehire processing early spring...And for a brief time that season..Never openned or was seen testing. :hot_air_balloon:

Does anyone have any info on why Jumbo Jet never opened at the park but was fully assembled? seems very odd to go through everything and never open the ride.

While there are no real definitive answers as to the exact reason why, I have a PERSONAL theory that it may not have opened due to safety concerns on other "Jumbo Jet" coasters at the time. I can recall the Jet Star at Seaside Heights being closed for a period of time somewhere around 1975 and soon after, Schwarzkoff introduced the Wild Cat coaster design which may have proven more safe. Perhaps management at Great Adventure believed that Wild Cat would have been a better purchase option for them and perhaps worked a deal with the manufacturer to install the newer Wild Cat instead?

Maybe it was never opened because the manufacturer would only take it back "un-used?" Who knows... really....?!?

• 2 months later...

My first year in new rides and I saw it go up and come down.

The story we were told was that GA leased several rides that year. The company derived all of them before the leases were finalized. The others were all executed, but GA and the owners could not agree on the lease for the Jet Star, so they took it back.

They did test run it one day, but I don’t think anyone ever rode it.