VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv. Debate #1: Lightnin' Loops - One Ride or Two?

25 members have voted

1. 1. What would you consider Lightnin' Loops?

• One ride
    • Two rides

When compiling the scorecard information as part of our new Yearbook Spotlights, I was thinking about if we should consider Lightnin' Loops as one ride or two.

Technically, the shuttle loops were operated totally independent of each other and did not share any common structure or foundations. The same can not be said of other dual rides like Rolling Thunder, Chiller, TIme Warp, or the Skyride.

Both loops even had different opening and closing dates. The lower blue loop actually closed five years before the upper red loop.

So, what do you think? One ride or two?

I'd say it is 2 rides especially since like you mentioned, the red loop track ran for years without the blue loop track. I never rode the coasters but if I had, I would have counted each track as a separate credit when added them to my coaster count. Also RCDB counts it as 2 separate entries and I usually (with a few exceptions) consider whatever RCDB says for how I want to count a coaster.

Also RCDB counts it as 2 separate entries and I usually (with a few exceptions) consider whatever RCDB says for how I want to count a coaster.

^ Oh, by the way, we provided Duane with information on Great Adventure's coasters and the park's listings on RCDB.com have now been updated! Thanks Duane!

I said 2 too because they did not share anything but power, and a entrance sign, my mom worked it for 4 years and the only thing relatively thing close to being 1 coaster was the concrete on the entrance q. I would say that Thunder was one because they shared supports for most of the ride, share all 4 trains, transfer, had bolth tracks on it+ the third track that should have a spare on it. Anyway loops was 2 coasters.

In any enthusiasts eyes, two separate rides for all reasons mentioned above. To any normal person, it was one ride. One entrance, one name, one ride. I personally say it is one ride as well. Yes, it most certainly two separate rides now, but it was presented as one ride when it opened, just like chiller, rolling thunder, and so on. When the ride opened, it would be advertised in the fashion of "come ride our new ride (Not rideS) Lightnin Loops" just the same as Chiller or rolling thunder, it was marketed as a new "Ride", or new "Coaster". It wasn't plural and that's why I feel it should be considered one ride, at least during it's time a our park.

• 1 year later...

Any coaster that has two seperate tracks, i count as two. All racing coasters, though similar, each track is different and you get a different experience on one than the other. Rolling Thunder, and Lightning racer at hershey, i count as two each. The racer at kennywood, i've only rode on the one side so i count it as one.